Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Actually just got an update that all games today are moved to tomorrow. The Hasty's are our neighbors. Kaitlyn just had an amazing year. We are just so happy for them and Kaitlyn's sister, Jacquelyn plays with Haley on her HS team as well as her travel team. Haley also played TB with 2 other girls from CNU as well.
Hasty is pretty great player. And I believe CNU takes it all. Pretty dang solid from what I have heard.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Do you think the problem is at all related to low travel budgets for D3 schools?
UTD's chess team's budget is higher than the softball team! No lie.

But yeah, there is some truth to your question. There are limited budgets for many teams, but if you are one of the teams that are always in the mix, they will have/find the funds. Also Why only 62 vs 64 teams?

Mary Hardin Baylor has lots of $$$ and I am sure George Fox would have jumped at the opportunity to play in Texas. DD attended a camp years ago in Houston and the George Fox coach was one of the coaches running the camp. Had no idea who they were at the time. Their team had 69 HR's!!! Look at those crazy hitting stats. I get that in the NE there are a sh&t ton of D3 schools minutes from each other and travel is easy.

In 2019 Southwestern had a record of 35-6. 5 losses to TLU (2019 National Champs) and 1 loss to Trine. They did not get a berth. They were totally prepared for travel. 2016-How does Amherst and Williams from the NESCAC end up making it to the D3 Championships? Why were they not put in the same regional or super?

Jun 8, 2016
2016-How does Amherst and Williams from the NESCAC end up making it to the D3 Championships? Why were they not put in the same regional or super?
We’re they both ranked high? If so then the same reason that OSU/OU were not in the same regional this year assuming both regionals were within driving distance..? Of course if you are saying that teams like this get placed in the same regional all the time then yeah I don’t know..must be NE elitism or something 😉

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Grace Lyons appears to be exceptional both on and off the field. An easy person to root for. I think my wife would adopt her.
My DD and I had the opportunity to meet her at a clinic. You are correct, she's fantastic. She is a very effective coach as well.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We’re they both ranked high? If so then the same reason that OSU/OU were not in the same regional this year assuming both regionals were within driving distance..? Of course if you are saying that teams like this get placed in the same regional all the time then yeah I don’t know..must be NE elitism or something 😉
Not sure. Another question. Why are Texas teams and West coast teams in the same Region? Not driving distance for sure. LOL.

I found Region X rankings. 4 Conferences represented...that I can tell. Only George Fox and Mary Hardin Baylor do not get berths in Regionals. TLU and ETBU host regionals. Belhaven does not have lights.

1653667726769.png

Jun 8, 2016
Not sure. Another question. Why are Texas teams and West coast teams in the same Region? Not driving distance for sure. LOL.

I found Region X rankings. 4 Conferences represented...that I can tell. Only George Fox and Mary Hardin Baylor do not get berths in Regionals. TLU and ETBU host regionals. Belhaven does not have lights.

View attachment 25725
🤨..who is on the selection committee?

Mar 8, 2016
One of the great things the NCAA does is cover all the expenses for teams that make the NCAA tournament. Thank you football and men's basketball. I think the NCAA is missing out on some good publicity by making this known. It makes sense when you think about it. Almost all of these schools would not have thousands of dollars saved back in their softball budgets in case they made the tournament. Of course it wouldn't be the NCAA without a weird rule that makes no sense. They will pay for 25 girls to travel but you can only dress 20 girls for the game.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2016
I talked to several of the WPI parents yesterday before the game. You couldn't ask for a nicer group of parents. I was the only one in blue in a sea of red. We had a great conversation while waiting for the ticket booth to open. Their players are from all over the country. They only have 13 players but all but 2 girl's parents were able to come watch them play. They have a 1st year head coach and started the season 15-11 before they got hot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2017

View attachment 25725
There are no d3 softball teams between Texas and CA/OR/WA. There are only two conferences in CA/OR/WA so a single west coast region would not work. I do wonder how much the NCFA poll is used in selection vs. the NCAA regional rankings.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
There are no d3 softball teams between Texas and CA/OR/WA. There are only two conferences in CA/OR/WA so a single west coast region would not work. I do wonder how much the NCFA poll is used in selection vs. the NCAA regional rankings.
Dude! You've been a member since 2017 and have only posted 4 times? C'mon. Appreciate the info. You should share more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles