Even the losers are happy in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It is fake.

It is a requirement by the coaches to present the team a certain way.

College softball is difficult. It is exhausting. The travel alone will wear most down. And the b.s. that these coaches put their players through is part of what is wrong with college softball. And the players hate it. And they hate losing.

If you are a coach of a tb team, understand that enthusiasm doesn’t win softball games. Suzy doesn’t muff a ground ball because the bench wasn’t loud or enthusiastic enough. The bench should be engaged but eff that chanting, eff that singing.

Current in college dd is lucky. Her coaches don‘t believe in that stuff. The best tb team she was on didn’t either. Play softball. Be engaged. Love the game. You don’t need to chant to love the game.

Older former player dd was placed in charge of beating on a bucket like a drum. Total b.s.
There is a fine line between cheering on fellow players and mindless chants and songs .Would much rather have the players watching the game. Should know how many outs and hopefully the count on the batter at all times. Observing the pitcher. Picking up info. The only time I would encourage noise/chants is if I believe it is effecting the opposing pitcher. And that does happen.

Jun 11, 2012
I’m not a fan of the 12U-esque cheers but DD’s college bench is mute half the time and it drives me crazy. When the starters are on the field there’s maybe one or two bench players who make any effort to cheer on the fielders/pitcher. Half of them just sit and ignore the game and don’t listen to the coaches & captains yet then wonder why they never play.
Our infield doesn’t communicate this year either and they’ve lost numerous games because of no communication.
so I don’t want a cheer/chant fest but it would be nice if they were actively engaged in the game.

May 17, 2012
There is a fine line between cheering on fellow players and mindless chants and songs .Would much rather have the players watching the game. Should know how many outs and hopefully the count on the batter at all times. Observing the pitcher. Picking up info. The only time I would encourage noise/chants is if I believe it is effecting the opposing pitcher. And that does happen.

I would agree. I want to see my players engaged for their own benefit rather than the benefit of the player(s) they are cheering on. If extroverts need to be vocal for their own benefit, that's fine. If introverts need to focus silently, that's fine as well.

I do believe in momentum noise/chants/cheers but that usually builds organically for the moment. No need for the coach to force that.

Feb 7, 2014
When in Florida for The Spring Games I watched the baseball team attend DDs softball game.

1) It doubled the crowd size.
2) Completely changed the environment.
*) Was organic like mentioned in other posts.

Oct 4, 2018
If y'all are telling me that my DD playing in college means I don't get to hear "Not cho pitch, not cho pitch. Not cho Cheese... Nacho cheeeeeeeeeeeeese" we have some adjustments to make.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
If y'all are telling me that my DD playing in college means I don't get to hear "Not cho pitch, not cho pitch. Not cho Cheese... Nacho cheeeeeeeeeeeeese" we have some adjustments to make.
Lost my appetite for most cheers and chants, but still smile when I hear "Taco, Burrito, but Not-Cho Pitch!" Classic.

Feb 24, 2022
I love the cheering in college softball (winning g or losing). I think it's something unique about softball - just like how it's tradition to do goofy stuff in the background when your coach is being inerviewed. Does it help win games, no. But it helps softball standout from baseball, gets the fans involved, and gets these girls the attention they deserve. Life is hard enough, let them have some fun.

May 29, 2015
Cheering and trying to have some fun is a losing dugout is the last thing people in this country should be worrying about.

Yeah ... we need to worry about really important things ... like outlawing participation awards. Looking at you, North Carolina ... :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi