Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
The issue of consequences is tricky. Season is over, so not much the team can do. School is out, so not much the school can do. The high school association can't do much on the basis of fan video. The umpires that they hired did not see it or consider it a violation. It's kinda like sending a video of a bad call. Too late. Of course, Sam Houston State could do something. Not saying that there shouldn't be consequences, but I don't know who has jurisdiction. I bet there is no precedence for a high school association taking action on a player based on video after the fact on a play that drew no penalty.

I was just advising how the news anchor reacted to the incident.

IMO if she was following instruction from the coach then the coach should be disciplined if she did it on her own then she should be the one disciplined JMO.

Dec 19, 2012
The issue of consequences is tricky. Season is over, so not much the team can do. School is out, so not much the school can do. The high school association can't do much on the basis of fan video. The umpires that they hired did not see it or consider it a violation. It's kinda like sending a video of a bad call. Too late. Of course, Sam Houston State could do something. Not saying that there shouldn't be consequences, but I don't know who has jurisdiction. I bet there is no precedence for a high school association taking action on a player based on video after the fact on a play that drew no penalty.

I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. The High School CAN do something. Since she is a 2016 she could be penalized her senior year. Just because the umpires did not penalize her does not mean they did not consider it a violation; they were just very lenient in this situation. It was a HS championship game and I believe the umpires should have warned her the first time and ejected her the second time. I believe they let the first one go and warned her on the second one. She did not do it again when the next runner scored. The coach should be repremanded IF it is found that she was told to do this by the coach. Chances are there were people from the Athletic Association at the game that witnessed it first hand so yes, the AA could do something. You are correct that SHSU could do something. They could pull their verbal agreement based on her conduct. Colleges have pulled verbals based on player conduct in the past.

Nov 3, 2012

Totally disagree Coogans. Its really totally irrelevant that the umpire is totally incompetent. I agree you cant send a video in and protest a bad call. But when you have video of a girl trying to hurt other girls twice, the state organization has to react. This is why its a spectacle, this is not just bad sportsmanship, she maliciosly tried to hurt these girls. Sam Houston State, the UIL and the AD at Needville will have to react on this. Note this girl is a Junior and could and should face discipline from UIL next season. Its too big to ignore. There is some precedent here. Its like the Catcher and pitcher that intentionally hit the Ump. How about Randy Moss getting involved in a fight at his high school and losing his scholarship to Notre Dame.

Also, as just as bad as Crosby's behavior was, what about the umpire. This guy needs to change his part time job. I think he needs to drop his Sotball umping gig, but he would good as a professional wreslting referee.

Mar 1, 2013
The reaction on Twitter (and among a few D1 players) is like a fire storm. I have even seen the catcher's life threatened.

And something like that should also be dealt with by the proper authorities. I have no problem calling her out, calling out the coaches and even questioning the unpire's (apparent lack of) reaction. Making violence and death threats is just idiotic. It's still a game and in the end the game will sort t out.

Edited to add: Anyone who threatens violence against a 17 year old child should have that attached to every job application and background check they ever do.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Totally disagree Coogans. Its really totally irrelevant that the umpire is totally incompetent. I agree you cant send a video in and protest a bad call. But when you have video of a girl trying to hurt other girls twice, the state organization has to react. This is why its a spectacle, this is not just bad sportsmanship, she maliciosly tried to hurt these girls. Sam Houston State, the UIL and the AD at Needville will have to react on this. Note this girl is a Junior and could and should face discipline from UIL next season. Its too big to ignore. There is some precedent here. Its like the Catcher and pitcher that intentionally hit the Ump. How about Randy Moss getting involved in a fight at his high school and losing his scholarship to Notre Dame.

Also, as just as bad as Crosby's behavior was, what about the umpire. This guy needs to change his part time job. I think he needs to drop his Sotball umping gig, but he would good as a professional wreslting referee.

I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. The High School CAN do something. Since she is a 2016 she could be penalized her senior year. Just because the umpires did not penalize her does not mean they did not consider it a violation; they were just very lenient in this situation. It was a HS championship game and I believe the umpires should have warned her the first time and ejected her the second time. I believe they let the first one go and warned her on the second one. She did not do it again when the next runner scored. The coach should be repremanded IF it is found that she was told to do this by the coach. Chances are there were people from the Athletic Association at the game that witnessed it first hand so yes, the AA could do something. You are correct that SHSU could do something. They could pull their verbal agreement based on her conduct. Colleges have pulled verbals based on player conduct in the past.

I'm not describing what should happen, but why it probably won't and cannot. And Lenski, you are correct about pulling verbals. I'm talking about high school associations.

If you are a high school association, can you realistically punish players based on videos sent by fans? Or even by member schools? I don't think a state association's bylaws would allow it. The umpires missed the call. So it's over. The umpires could've kicked the player out of the game, and there might be additional penalties in the bylaws for players who are kicked out. But once the call is missed and there is no protest, it's over. I don't think that a high school association will take action over something that was not protested or acted upon during a game. Imagine the consequences of that precedent. Any punch thrown in any high school sporting event that is caught on camera could be sent to the state association. How would could they realistically deal with that? Would it be fair since some things are caught on camera, and others are not? Or fans or member schools could show only part of a video. The state association is not making decisions based on videos sent after the fact, IMO.

May 24, 2015
GA
And something like that should also be dealt with by the proper authorities. I have no problem calling her out, calling out the coaches and even questioning the unpire's (apparent lack of) reaction. Making violence and death threats is just idiotic. It's still a game and in the end the game will sort t out.

Edited to add: Anyone who threatens violence against a 17 year old child should have that attached to every job application and background check they ever do.

Amen! What she did was wrong, and I do think there should be consequences. But ALL people make bad judgment calls sometimes and 17 year olds are definitely going to make bad calls in how they behave. They're still growing up. It's old enough to be held accountable, but death is a bit extreme. @@

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'm not describing what should happen, but why it probably won't and cannot. And Lenski, you are correct about pulling verbals. I'm talking about high school associations.

If you are a high school association, can you realistically punish players based on videos sent by fans? Or even by member schools? I don't think a state association's bylaws would allow it. The umpires missed the call. So it's over. The umpires could've kicked the player out of the game, and there might be additional penalties in the bylaws for players who are kicked out. But once the call is missed and there is no protest, it's over. I don't think that a high school association will take action over something that was not protested or acted upon during a game. Imagine the consequences of that precedent. Any punch thrown in any high school sporting event that is caught on camera could be sent to the state association. How would could they realistically deal with that? Would it be fair since some things are caught on camera, and others are not? Or fans or member schools could show only part of a video. The state association is not making decisions based on videos sent after the fact, IMO.

Not sure about the association, but the member school can certainly do something. I've seen players get suspended for just attending a party where there was drinking, and they happened to get into a photo that was sent to the school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie