Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
I'm not describing what should happen, but why it probably won't and cannot. And Lenski, you are correct about pulling verbals. I'm talking about high school associations.

If you are a high school association, can you realistically punish players based on videos sent by fans? Or even by member schools? I don't think a state association's bylaws would allow it. The umpires missed the call. So it's over. The umpires could've kicked the player out of the game, and there might be additional penalties in the bylaws for players who are kicked out. But once the call is missed and there is no protest, it's over. I don't think that a high school association will take action over something that was not protested or acted upon during a game. Imagine the consequences of that precedent. Any punch thrown in any high school sporting event that is caught on camera could be sent to the state association. How would could they realistically deal with that? Would it be fair since some things are caught on camera, and others are not? Or fans or member schools could show only part of a video. The state association is not making decisions based on videos sent after the fact, IMO.

We have had HS players kicked off of their team for having their picture taken at a party with beer cans in the background. This action happened at a school event, and should be handled by the school

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not sure about the association, but the member school can certainly do something. I've seen players get suspended for just attending a party where there was drinking, and they happened to get into a photo that was sent to the school.

You mean the school or team punishing one of its students? Yeah, that could happen, but I doubt it will because the softball season and school year is over. Are they not going to invite her to the banquet?

I'd think it would be more likely that the principal or athletics director have a talk with the coach. Coach is more likely to face consequences than player, IMO.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We have had HS players kicked off of their team for having their picture taken at a party with beer cans in the background. This action happened at a school event, and should be handled by the school

Yes, school could handle, not state association. But as I noted above, it begins w/ a talk w/ coach. Catcher did it twice, which means the coach needs to answer to why it happened a second time.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You mean the school or team punishing one of its students? Yeah, that could happen, but I doubt it will because the softball season and school year is over. Are they not going to invite her to the banquet?

I'd think it would be more likely that the principal or athletics director have a talk with the coach. Coach is more likely to face consequences than player, IMO.

Oh I doubt anything will happen either.... come next Feb, nobody will remember this.... all I was saying is the school could do something. And the incident I posted, it was school policy suspended from athletics for 14 days for 1st offense, 21 days for next... then removed from team (this isn't just 1 season, it for the entire HS years)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So we are now to the point for suspending kids and taking away scholarships based on what happens in games? Ridiculous. This is a case of an athlete taking a cheap shot in a game. Happens in every sport that has even the most remote chance of contact every day across the nation, this one got caught on video and it is a girl and everyone freaks out.

Do baseball pitchers lose scholarships when they throw at an opposing batter? I'll take the body check running to home over the 90 mph fastball to the head any day of the week. Cheap shots happen all the time in sports, this is just a couple of really cheap shots, they should be dealt with within the confines of the game, if the governing body want sot suspend her from games next year so be it, suggesting suspension from school, or scholarships being yanked over what happened in one inning of softball is insane. Unless this kid took a bat and started going all Walking Dead on the other team this is just a cheap shot play, nothing more nothing less. Make this a baseball game and I doubt it is news at all.

If it was a baseball game there would have been a physical altercation after the first time and there would not have been a second body check, ump call or no ump call. This would wind up as a cheap play and a bench clearing melee and we have seen that kind of footage so many times we wouldn't blink an eye.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
So we are now to the point for suspending kids and taking away scholarships based on what happens in games? Ridiculous. This is a case of an athlete taking a cheap shot in a game. Happens in every sport that has even the most remote chance of contact every day across the nation, this one got caught on video and it is a girl and everyone freaks out.

Do baseball pitchers lose scholarships when they throw at an opposing batter? I'll take the body check running to home over the 90 mph fastball to the head any day of the week. Cheap shots happen all the time in sports, this is just a couple of really cheap shots, they should be dealt with within the confines of the game, if the governing body want sot suspend her from games next year so be it, suggesting suspension from school, or scholarships being yanked over what happened in one inning of softball is insane. Unless this kid took a bat and started going all Walking Dead on the other team this is just a cheap shot play, nothing more nothing less. Make this a baseball game and I doubt it is news at all.

If it was a baseball game there would have been a physical altercation after the first time and there would not have been a second body check, ump call or no ump call. This would wind up as a cheap play and a bench clearing melee and we have seen that kind of footage so many times we wouldn't blink an eye.

Uh huh, unless it was your DD being flung in the air...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

You're right, this incident by itself is not enough to pull a scholly, IMO. But I do think it's enough to make a college coach want to have a talk with the player, and the scholly might be pulled if the coach wasn't satisfied with her answers. Think about this - This is Texas. There probably isn't a Friday night in the fall where at least one high school football player in Texas doesn't do something that equals this. I'm not excusing it, but stuff likes this happens, and it doesn't necessarily mean the student-athlete should be banned for life.

I will note that there was a situation in Georgia baseball about 5 years ago when a catcher ducked to allow a pitch to smack the umpire in the face mask. That went viral, and the catcher was told by the school to which he was committed that he no longer was welcome. Meanwhile, the shortstop who was suspected of hatching the plot was drafted in the first round by the Dodgers a few weeks later.

The more I re-watch the video, the more it looks to me (in slo-mo, at least) like both runners were actually altering their course, lowering their shoulder and trying to hit Crosby. She shouldn't have been as close to home plate as she was, but it is really starting to look to me like both of those girls were looking for trouble, and they found it.

In fact, on the second girl, it really looks like that if Megan didn't throw the elbow, she would have ended up on her arse instead of the runner.

I am not condoning the catcher's behavior. She should have just stepped up and let the runners have the plate (the runners could have avoided collisions, too).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie