Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
planned_zpssowefz9k.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
REALLY didn't want to get involved in this, but dd just said to me "if this is so shocking for baserunning team, why does 3rd base coach watch the contact so closely, no play on runner, clap excitedly and almost happy, then point. No play on her, why would she even be looking there" (Second runner)

And just my observation...WHOLE lot of open plate on both plays and no reason for a runner to ever be in fair territory 3rd to home.

This is along the lines of the point I was talking about on page 9. I get the feeling that the runners weren't trying to avoid the collision (not that they are required to in this case), especially the second one.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not sure what you are showing this clip for. It shows exactly the opposite of what you were saying with regard to where the baserunner was. She never stepped foot in fair territory. But to be technical about it, the only way possible to touch home plate is to be in fair territory, as no part of home plate extends into foul territory.

As far as the coach clapping, her runner did just cross home plate, somewhat, in the state championship game after taking the lead. She was probably excited initially with doing so.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
could you please share the conversation between the two teams parents. i am a parent of the team that the girsl were taken out. there were no fights in the stands between the parents.

^^^. I wasn't there, so I can't say first hand. Second hand, lots of friends there with Needville. Not one said anything about verbal or physical fights in the stands.

Is this just a bunch of "add ons" from people who weren't there?

Jun 9, 2015
Nsanesoftball -

You were the only one on DFP (so far) who was at the game. From what you witnessed, how much truth is there in the bolded statements above?

there was tough ball being played nothing out of the ordinary until these events took place. hard slides to break-up potential double plays (part of the game and was completely acceptable). one in the first inning by the Needville team was kinda questionable( situation was basesloaded no outs, ball hit to the pitcher, she fields and throws home, catcher makes force out moves two full strides in front of plate to make throw to one and the runner coming home (out by 5-10ft slides full arm extended over the plate and body fully extended and takes out catchers legs with feet). like I said questionable if necessary but i give them the benefit of doubt for breaking up the double play. from there all was good until these catcher incidents.

as far as fans getting into it, no fans were fighting and if any profane words used were directed towards the ump for making the call to eject. there was a student from each team with a school banner that would run from one side of the stands to other when good plays happened. out student ran on our side of the stands until Needville's student went in front of our stands so our student did the same thing. but nothing other than that. i was sitting front row of stands on 3rd base side and never heard any of our coaching staff or athlete's saying take her out.

i am parent and a coach, if we were in the wrong i would call us out for our sprotsmanship but we did nothing wrong.

there is a longer 4 minute recap video that shows the hard take out slide at home plate on that video at i think the :28 second mark.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
I wonder if Sam Houston State University likes the national attention this is receiving and if they liked the actions of their verballed catcher.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi