Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
there was tough ball being played nothing out of the ordinary until these events took place. hard slides to break-up potential double plays (part of the game and was completely acceptable). one in the first inning by the Needville team was kinda questionable( situation was basesloaded no outs, ball hit to the pitcher, she fields and throws home, catcher makes force out moves two full strides in front of plate to make throw to one and the runner coming home (out by 5-10ft slides full arm extended over the plate and body fully extended and takes out catchers legs with feet). like I said questionable if necessary but i give them the benefit of doubt for breaking up the double play. from there all was good until these catcher incidents.

as far as fans getting into it, no fans were fighting and if any profane words used were directed towards the ump for making the call to eject. there was a student from each team with a school banner that would run from one side of the stands to other when good plays happened. out student ran on our side of the stands until Needville's student went in front of our stands so our student did the same thing. but nothing other than that. i was sitting front row of stands on 3rd base side and never heard any of our coaching staff or athlete's saying take her out.

i am parent and a coach, if we were in the wrong i would call us out for our sprotsmanship but we did nothing wrong.

there is a longer 4 minute recap video that shows the hard take out slide at home plate on that video at i think the :28 second mark.

Thank you very much for your input on this topic.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Should the catcher make a statement, either to defend herself or to apologize? Or just stay quiet? My guess is that if you aren't talking, you're not having regrets.

If I was a trusted adviser I would urge her to get ahead of this and contact the coach at Sam Houston and then make a very humble statement on social media expressing regret for her actions. Then say absolutely nothing. Unfortunately the best time for that was about 72 hours ago.

Dec 19, 2012
If I was a trusted adviser I would urge her to get ahead of this and contact the coach at Sam Houston and then make a very humble statement on social media expressing regret for her actions. Then say absolutely nothing. Unfortunately the best time for that was about 72 hours ago.

Agreed. She missed the window of sincerity. Too late now.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It would appear whoever is advising her has different thoughts.

I mentioned I saw a comment on one of the Houston Chronicle articles by a woman claiming to be this catcher's tournament coach, defending her and saying the catcher did nothing wrong.

It appears the adults around her are circling the wagons and defending her actions. It also appears someone decided she should make no comments whatsoever.

Feb 7, 2013
For what it's worth, last night out of the blue my DW who doesn't really follow softball on social media shows me her phone and says "have you seen this video" (of the catcher) and I said yep. If she is receiving this information, the video/topic must have gone viral in the US.

While some hate social media, I think this national exposure will get many people talking about what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior on the field and will be a teaching moment for players and their families as they discuss this issue with their daughters.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What I find kinda funny is that the local Needville paper has reported ZERO on this... even their FB Page is silent. Must be the small town ideals.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
For what it's worth, last night out of the blue my DW who doesn't really follow softball on social media shows me her phone and says "have you seen this video" (of the catcher) and I said yep. If she is receiving this information, the video/topic must have gone viral in the US.

While some hate social media, I think this national exposure will get many people talking about what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior on the field and will be a teaching moment for players and their families as they discuss this issue with their daughters.

I agree and it's one of the reasons I posted it originally.

There really is no place for this in our sport. It is our sport, right? We watch it, coach it, play it. What we permit, we promote. No way I'd want any of my DD's doing this or have it done to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi