Recruiting from the transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD goes to a school where the coach she built a relationship with and signed her got fired right after DD graduated high school. Last year as a freshman she started, but this year he brought in a ton of girls with a bunch from the portal that are grad students. So shes getting triple whammied by covid. Lost her junior hs season, lost recruiting opportunities bc of covid, and now girls who graduated college and still have a year of eligibility bc of covid coming in taking opportunities away. Needless to say she has barely gotten any time in scrimmages. Major bummer but she loves the school so she won't leave.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

College sports is a meritocracy. Being a fifth-year player doesn't automatically mean they're playing. They're "taking opportunities" for only one reason...the coaches believe they're the best players. Conversely, anyone paying attention has seen freshmen displace older and more experienced players. There are a number of fifth-year players moving to new schools, and that seems to happen for one of two reasons. Either they're really good and chasing a championship ring, or their scholarship money disappeared for that fifth year.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The factor that recruiting a player from the transfer portal is recruiting somebody that has already been through a year or more of the rigors of a College schedule. That in itself can equate to some life experience versus a player who will be breaking in to that environment as a freshman trying to figure it out.
Can make the transfer portal an appealing option for colleges.

Mar 10, 2020
I concur when a player leaves one College through the transfer portal to another it does leave a vacancy. However the sheer size and growth of the transfer portal directly competes with graduating h.s. seniors just the same. It is now a substantial recruitment source that is a one stop shop database of players with college experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101