What's more valuable, practices or games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is more valuable in developing a softball player?

• Total voters
Feb 20, 2019
This poll is for softball parents of, all ages, but mainly the younger groups, 10U-14U. As a parent of a budding young softball player, what do you value more to help your DD develop and improve her softball skills? Please explain why you voted for your response.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Practices are where you improve and work on your skills. Games are the test to measure your improvement.

ETA: Pitchers and catchers get the most reps in a game and you may only get to swing the bat a fw times a game. During practice you can control the number of reps, swings, etc. At the time you can make immediate corrections and get immediate feedback. Games you can make notes of what to improve during your next practice and work on it. Situational drills for the team too!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
no question, games are where you develop a softball _player_. You develop skills in practice, but there are things you can't replicate.

If you had a kid do 10,000 practices, they still might panic and throw to the wrong base. Forget to hit the cut-off, freeze at the plate.

If you had a kid do 10,000 games, they would eventually figure out how to throw, hit, field.

Oct 4, 2018
Tough one as both are so important. And fortunately most all teams do both, so having an answer to the question doesn't matter too much.

That said, practice.

Some girls play 3 full games and don't get a ball hit to them. Good reps in practice are a must.

May 13, 2023
Tough one as both are so important. And fortunately most all teams do both, so having an answer to the question doesn't matter too much.

That said, practice.

Some girls play 3 full games and don't get a ball hit to them. Good reps in practice are a must.
This ⬆️ ditto

Add
Pitchers & Catchers tend to need concentrated individual training time. Outside of team practice.
( just saying generally there isn't as much coaching time applicated to those positions at practices, technical mechanics)

For pitchers and catchers some of the best experience comes from playing in games.

May 20, 2015
both

can't become a good softball player without both

skill development, repetition come in practice.....live situations, however, bring a whole new set of skills into play

i'd also want to know who is coaching the practice, and who is coaching the game....because those things matter, too

Jul 11, 2023
The game only, win all cost, I don't care about your kid coaching is one thing that really chaps my hide in youth sports. I assume it's original value was just to get in front of recruiters where the purpose is for the player to show off rather than develop. But Patty Gasso isn't showing up for 10-14U to my knowledge.

I'd rather ask a more nuanced question on what the ratio of practice to games should be. My opinion of my DD's career has been too game heavy. Games are not a safe place to fail. But then no time is taken to walk through what proper action should look like.

Oh - and I do think that warmups ARE practice. They SHOULD have a purpose. I feel like I am shouting into the abyss with that one too. lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Practice with a Purpose. Mindless drills help with muscle memory. Like a robot. What players lack today is softball IQ. The game within the game. Situational awareness. Some kids just have it and other kids don't.

Station to Station base running vs taking the extra base without the coach telling you do so. Fake throw to get a base runner cheating and tag them out. Kids don't take chances. They wait for the coach for instruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles