Please take a look at 13 yo DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
I need some ideas to help with her "hitch". This video was taken during front toss drills. The hitch seems to really rear its ugly head in front toss and live pitching situation. Please watch the entire video...the first couple of swings were not so good, but I thought the last couple got better.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2012
Couple of things I see IMO is she is bringing her hands to the ball not the barrel of the bat, she is just swinging with her arms, no hip coil or uncoil and bug squashing. (She also needs to work on short to the ball and long through the ball)

I would like to see her swing off the tee.

Couple other things I would do is see if she can self toss to her self and drive the ball ( This will help her understand quick that she has to take the barrel of the bat to the ball. Other drills that would help are Throwing the bat drill and high tee drill. After she understands not to take her hands to the ball I would work on loading and unloading. As some on here say turning the magic spot.

Notice the path of the bat and the unloading of the hips in the below gif.

CCabreraSwivel1_zps13b57881.gif

This is what I show my DD what the swing needs to look like.

LarsenTilt_zps20a5a8fc.gif

Here is IMO a great video to show her.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0U2Tb0g2kSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
May 1, 2012
have her drop her hands down until the bat touches the top of her shoulder.then bring hands in tighter to her body.keep the bat touching her shoulder as she rotates forward into her swing .knob of the bat will be pointing at the pitching machine and bat will still be touching shoulder .start swing .will eliminate her hands dropping and her casting problem.

Tee works looks better from a hands not dropping stand point another thing to try is a low tee drill. Put the ball on the outside lower half make her start slo mo or position by position but make sure her hands stay high about chest level but she attacks the low pitch with bat angle. Then let her go half speed, then full speed. If you can do this right before a machine session it helps or if you can front toss low pitches that works too. What I see happen a lot is girls look OK of the tee but the first low pitch that comes they revert back to trying to get the bat level on plane by dropping their hands and making a more level swing instead of keeping the same swing just changing bat angle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The issue won't be addressed through tee swings. The issue resides in her leveling process during her "reading of the pitch". She first lowers her hands to her perception of the ball plane and then swings/drags. Instead, she should level as she swings.

The issue won't be addressed through tee swings. The issue resides in her leveling process during her "reading of the pitch". She first lowers her hands to her perception of the ball plane and then swings/drags. Instead, she should level as she swings.

So without tee work how does she develop the muscle memory of not dropping hands first? From the hitting technical standpoint we can all see in first video her first move at swing initiation is to bring her hands down. Now from the second video I don't think we learn much because with the high tee position there is no need to drop the hands. My only thought was with a low tee position see can feel that she can hit the low pitch without dropping her hands.

We also probably agree that no matter what happens on the tee as soon as she gets back to a ball coming at her her natural instinct will be to revert back to dropping her hands. If not progressive tee drill slow, med then full speed, followed by front toss, then machine, then live BP what would your recommendation be.

I know this is the technical forum but I always get the feeling while there is debate around the edges about what makes the perfect swing most of the time obvious flaws like this one quickly dropping hands is easily identified then the next obvious question is HOW do we correct it.

Sorry trying too be so practical in the technical forum

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO she should work on her pattern. IMO her swing engine is based on that barrel leveling and her arms pulling it around her backside as hard as they can. Any tweaks to that would probably just bring up a new problem.

In the toss vid anyway.

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
So without tee work how does she develop the muscle memory of not dropping hands first? From the hitting technical standpoint we can all see in first video her first move at swing initiation is to bring her hands down. Now from the second video I don't think we learn much because with the high tee position there is no need to drop the hands. My only thought was with a low tee position see can feel that she can hit the low pitch without dropping her hands.

We also probably agree that no matter what happens on the tee as soon as she gets back to a ball coming at her her natural instinct will be to revert back to dropping her hands. If not progressive tee drill slow, med then full speed, followed by front toss, then machine, then live BP what would your recommendation be.

I know this is the technical forum but I always get the feeling while there is debate around the edges about what makes the perfect swing most of the time obvious flaws like this one quickly dropping hands is easily identified then the next obvious question is HOW do we correct it.

Sorry trying too be so practical in the technical forum

Thanks for your input. Maybe I should repost in the practical forum, as I know she drops her hands and I know she casts. I also know she isn't using her "big muscles" to initiate her swing. What I need is some drills to help her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd