Power hitter Becomes Blooper Hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
That is one of the reasons why hitting is so hard..it doesn't take much to screw up a swing...
DD had a decent weekend at the plate, not a lot of hard hit balls, but good battles and base hits resulting in 5 RBI's and .500 BA in 3 games. However first game she was struggling because her entire backside was collapsing, she was loading into back knee instead of back hip and couldn't get off her back leg. One cue between games, load into your hip more and it made all the difference. After the game I told her know you need to understand how that feels and make in game adjustments yourself.

Jun 8, 2016
DD had a decent weekend at the plate, not a lot of hard hit balls, but good battles and base hits resulting in 5 RBI's and .500 BA in 3 games. However first game she was struggling because her entire backside was collapsing, she was loading into back knee instead of back hip and couldn't get off her back leg. One cue between games, load into your hip more and it made all the difference. After the game I told her know you need to understand how that feels and make in game adjustments yourself.
Good that your kid listens to you. In between games this weekend I went over to my DD and started to say something to her, e.g. "Marcela your"..she cut me off with a pissed off "Dad I know, ok!!". My next words were, "If you knew your zipper was down the whole game and wanted it that way then I guess I am fine with it"

May 12, 2016
Good that your kid listens to you. In between games this weekend I went over to my DD and started to say something to her, e.g. "Marcela your"..she cut me off with a pissed off "Dad I know, ok!!". My next words were, "If you knew your zipper was down the whole game and wanted it that way then I guess I am fine with it"
LOLOLOL.. too funny

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here - has she been growing? Nothing screws up mechanics and technique faster than an extra 2 inches of height and maturity which can just take some time to just get over as they figure out how their body now works.

Have had several players over the years that have suffered from baby giraffe syndrome.

Apr 16, 2013
One issue I had with my DD was "locking" her wrists. She wouldn't continue her barrel turn. This resulted in a LOT of balls hit opposing that had a slice to it and outside pitches became a lot more difficult to hit. Seeing every ball come off the bat with a slice, then following it up with video, confirmed what I was thinking.

As someone mentioned above, more of a "chop down" on the ball will result in a lot of backspin. As soon as it hits the dirt, it just digs in and no looses all momentum. Paying close attention to the spin the ball has will help you determine alot, then go to video to help further evaluate.

May 12, 2016
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here - has she been growing? Nothing screws up mechanics and technique faster than an extra 2 inches of height and maturity which can just take some time to just get over as they figure out how their body now works.

Have had several players over the years that have suffered from baby giraffe syndrome.
Nope haven't grown an inch since she was 12... that's one thing I don't have to worry about, :)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Take a look at this video. Good chance she is swinging down and across. Happens frequently. Bat path connected to first shoulder move. Tilt!

May 12, 2016
Take a look at this video. Good chance she is swinging down and across. Happens frequently. Bat path connected to first shoulder move. Tilt!

Love his videos.. this use to be a problem. She would pull the ball hard and hook it to left, weak fly balls to right field. Opposite pattern happening right now.

I really do believe she has been letting the ball get too deep. Getting jammed and hitting weak hits to Left. Tried some corrections last night on tee and front toss, looked good. Will film and put it to the test at the field

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA