Please critique 8 YO DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o5jkfp6mT61usf292o1_250.gif

Angus, your DD has a good swing for a 8yr old. Just compare her swing to a few that has been posted on this site. Ask anybody on this site I luv to tweak every swing. Sure, there's 'flaws' in your DD's swing that I would like to see improved upon but, I won't mention any. You as the dad need to read and study more before you start to make changes/improvements to your DD's swing. The pitching will let you know when and how soon to start the
'tweaking'. Again JMHO.

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
tumblr_o5jkfp6mT61usf292o1_250.gif

Angus, your DD has a good swing for a 8yr old. Just compare her swing to a few that has been posted on this site. Ask anybody on this site I luv to tweak every swing. Sure, there's 'flaws' in your DD's swing that I would like to see improved upon but, I won't mention any. You as the dad need to read and study more before you start to make changes/improvements to your DD's swing. The pitching will let you know when and how soon to start the
'tweaking'. Again JMHO.

Thanks and I agree that it is best not to mess around with it a whole lot. Most importantly, I want her thinking about just hitting the ball during the game, and not making changes to her swing. I'm going to focus on making sure her feet and hands are in the proper position at set-up. That's the main thing for now.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks and I agree that it is best not to mess around with it a whole lot. Most importantly, I want her thinking about just hitting the ball during the game, and not making changes to her swing. I'm going to focus on making sure her feet and hands are in the proper position at set-up. That's the main thing for now.

Adding in "hit it hard" is good, too. ;)

Sep 17, 2009
She has been taught to have hands at ear level and load at setup (rather than during pitch) by HC. I guess the thought is that it keeps the swing simpler/quicker at this age. Seem like hands behind back foot is caused by too much load, or is it more hand position.

When my DD was 10 (a while ago) her coach wanted her to do something similar. Drop the front heel and go with the hips/hands. This coach had success at 10U at a high level, where the pitching speed given the distance (52 MPH at 35 feet) can actually feel faster then at older ages. I preferred her to learn how to load and sequence early on. He "punished" her over the winter when he was teaching his team to hit in his style and my DD didn't follow. But she hit a triple over the CFers head in her first at bat of the spring and he never bothered her again, lol.

I like your DD's swing but IMO don't take tools/mechanics away from her for the sake of simplifying things when she's young -- she already has a great feel for what she wants to do with the bat. Good luck! Sweet lefty swing :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks Shawn. I'm okay with her leaving a little on the table in terms of power by not having full negative move at this age, if it helps her maintain a more consistent swing but I see what you are saying. We will work on refining that as she develops. I do want to focus on not leaning back too far however, as that could cause her to swing late. Also, it's a lot easier to tweak position at setup than to try to change mechanics during the swing itself. Want to get that down first! Appreciate the input.

When talking about loading, the negative move, etc.,. We have to remember we are looking at a 8 year old. She hasn't started to develop physically. So what I'm seeing, might just be someone who hasn't physically developed yet. Meaning the players we often look at have the ability to create a stretching/shortening phase, they can create more explosiveness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55