Please critique 8 YO DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Here you go - any thoughts are appreciated. If someone knows how to embed the video in post, that would be helpful. One specific question - how is her setup relative to the ball? Sometimes I think she stands a bit too far from the plate, causing her to hit toward the end of the bat. What is the best way to make sure they have the correct positioning (keeping in mind that this is 8U)?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
Keeping in mind she's 8, she has a really nice swing. Tee may be a tad too far out front, and her back elbow looks to get ahead of her hands (slight bat drag). Considering she's 8, great swing... now, wait for the experts.

Nov 2, 2015
Here you go - any thoughts are appreciated. If someone knows how to embed the video in post, that would be helpful. One specific question - how is her setup relative to the ball? Sometimes I think she stands a bit too far from the plate, causing her to hit toward the end of the bat. What is the best way to make sure they have the correct positioning (keeping in mind that this is 8U)?

Coaching 8U right now, and would love to have a couple more that could swing the bat like that!
As far as positioning, have her stand at the plate, and put the end of the bat on the outside corner of the plate. If she has to really lean over to reach it, she's too far away.

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Coaching 8U right now, and would love to have a couple more that could swing the bat like that!
As far as positioning, have her stand at the plate, and put the end of the bat on the outside corner of the plate. If she has to really lean over to reach it, she's too far away.

Thanks. I think she does tend to stand a bit outside, and we try to remind her of what you just said. Agree with SoGa as well that tee is set up a bit too far in front.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o5jkfp6mT61usf292o1_250.gif

Since you posted on the Technical hitting thread I'm going to get all 'technical on you'. Your DD needs to.....
Sorry ,can't I don't want to coach the athleticism out of your DD.
I will give you some practical advise though:
Tape down a plate and a batters box so your DD knows where to set up regardless of the placement of the tee. To start have your DD lay her bat down across the plate with the sweet spot of the bat across the plate. After doing that your DD's feet should line up at the end of handle.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I was going to say leave her alone, but there is something she could do better. She could start 50/50 with her weight and then get the weight back. I like the swing and really feel she is not far off from having a really good swing. It's mostly positions that could be improved. For example the hands are behind the back foot at the launch position with some leaning back to keep the weight back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is just one view to look at, the launch position. If you want to say the swing has two phases that is fine with me.

Another good view would be to look at the positioning when the negative move begins.

Back to the launch position. The body should be centered again, where it started centered. There is no leaning back in an attempt to create stretching or simple trying to stay back with the upperbody.

There is allot to like about your daughters swing, don't mess with her hips.

The hands should be OVER the back foot. I prefer the hands a little lower. Lead arm is fully stretched after/during foot plant.

Attachments

• Animation1.jpg
    Animation1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Animation2.jpg
    Animation2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I was going to say leave her alone, but there is something she could do better. She could start 50/50 with her weight and then get the weight back. I like the swing and really feel she is not far off from having a really good swing. It's mostly positions that could be improved. For example the hands are behind the back foot at the launch position with some leaning back to keep the weight back.

She has been taught to have hands at ear level and load at setup (rather than during pitch) by HC. I guess the thought is that it keeps the swing simpler/quicker at this age. Seem like hands behind back foot is caused by too much load, or is it more hand position.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Angus,

If she was taught to load at setup, that might be what I'm seeing. I feel that that the load and unloading could be stronger. You can see the negative move in a good swing. It looks like there is good leverage off the backside in a good load. So, phase 1, negative and positive, can be seen in a good swing.

Look at the head positioning in the two pictures. Your daughters head is positioned over the back hip while Cabrera has the head positioned over the front hip. He has a strong attack position with the body.

The load is more dynamic then just loading early. She gets the weight back and the joints in the backside are stacked. There can be a stronger back hip/leg stabilization. She seems to be trying to stay back with the upperbody by leaning back. There is no attack posture in your daughter.

She has a good swing.

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Angus,

If she was taught to load at setup, that might be what I'm seeing. I feel that that the load and unloading could be stronger. You can see the negative move in a good swing. It looks like there is good leverage off the backside in a good load. So, phase 1, negative and positive, can be seen in a good swing.

Look at the head positioning in the two pictures. Your daughters head is positioned over the back hip while Cabrera has the head positioned over the front hip. He has a strong attack position with the body.

The load is more dynamic then just loading early. She gets the weight back and the joints in the backside are stacked. There can be a stronger back hip/leg stabilization. She seems to be trying to stay back with the upperbody by leaning back. There is no attack posture in your daughter.

She has a good swing.

Thanks Shawn. I'm okay with her leaving a little on the table in terms of power by not having full negative move at this age, if it helps her maintain a more consistent swing but I see what you are saying. We will work on refining that as she develops. I do want to focus on not leaning back too far however, as that could cause her to swing late. Also, it's a lot easier to tweak position at setup than to try to change mechanics during the swing itself. Want to get that down first! Appreciate the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug