Playing dirty? Totally fair?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
That was definitely coached. It could have been much worse. The runner in the video used excessive force to push the defender down instead of bumping into her. As others have stated. The girl who was playing 1st needed to be coached exactly where to be when the ball was in RF.

Some may take umbrage to this. But I coach my players to run into, not over, the opposing defense if they are in the base path without the ball to draw the obstruction call. It's using the rules to your advantage. But not to the point of injuring an opponent.

Apr 12, 2015
But I coach my players to run into, not over, the opposing defense if they are in the base path without the ball to draw the obstruction call. It's using the rules to your advantage. But not to the point of injuring an opponent.

Looks like the runner was coached similarly, just did it with too much enthusiasm. Its easy to get upset and the player and the coach, call it dirty, and all that, but the runner is also 11 at the most. They don't always do what they are told or coached to do properly either.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Think y'all are being tough on the first baseman.

This was not a double in the gap. It was a single to RF (or right center). She's covering first base just in case, as she's probably been coached. The RF is about to make a throw at first.

Should she have had the presence of mind to realize there's no chance we're getting this runner? She's 10. The RF thinks she's got a shot and is attempting a throw, so not that surprising IMO that the first baseman would stay at the bag and figure runner is just going to run through first, not round first. In any event, this wasn't a first baseman who was just standing on the bag watching outfielders chase the ball to the fence. I'd cut her some slack. Heck, how many first baseman this young don't cover the bag on balls hit into RF?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2015
Definitely dirty, and I didn't read the OP until after the video. I know you don't want to get into bad habits but I wouldn't coach my players to run into anyone at 10U, it really isn't worth it.

Dec 11, 2010
Should have resulted in out and immediate ejection of batter runner.

Ump ought to be able to eject the head coach. Don't think he can, MTR?

The org head ought to be on hotseat explaining how his coaches allowed this incident to develop.

Player needs to do some apologizing too. And needs to be put on notice that intentional behavior that may injure another player will not be tolerated by the sanctioning body or HER OWN ORGANIZATION. She needs some lasting consequences. Very poor display by this young lady. Very poor.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Poor positioning by the fielder, and it was, is not excuse no license to run over a player. A decent umpire assuming s/he saw it would have ejected the runner at the end of the play.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
This is awful. I showed it to my husband (not a coach) and he said and I quote, "If that was my kid, I would have completely lost my s^%$ and probably gotten ejected myself!"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi