Pitching velo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
I have never heard this. Where did you read this and who did the studies?
I didnt realize we needed peer reviewed research from a top academic journal to comment on DFP. Elite softball, hands up and in. Elite baseball... Sometimes but often more dip and power.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didnt realize we needed peer reviewed research from a top academic journal to comment on DFP. Elite softball, hands up and in. Elite baseball... Sometimes but often more dip and power.
Never mind. You posted something I had never heard or read before. I like to learn stuff. Sorry for asking

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Never mind. You posted something I had never heard or read before. I like to learn stuff. Sorry for asking
Yeah, elite baseball swings, such as Mike Trout, measure near or above 100 MPH, and that's with a 34-31 bat. You won't find a female on this planet with a swing speed close to that.

Jul 31, 2019
Elite pitchers have all speed, spin and control. It is a very small group that are elite at all 3. Pitchers need to work on all 3. But if they have maxed out in one area they should work hard on another. You have to work with the tools you have been given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The phrase “maxed out” is always interesting to me. How does one know when someone’s actually maxed out?

Jul 31, 2019
Have seen these charts before and think they are extremely flawed. They use the term reaction time for a reason because it is still very different hitting a softball at 65 and a baseball at 94. Why? Leaving aside the bigger yellow ball, home plate and the hitting zone are the same size in both baseball and softball. Let's say there is an 18 inch zone in which you can make solid contact, In one scenario the ball moves through that zone at 94 mph and in the other it moves through that zone at 65 that's a whole different animal so the time you have to decide to swing may be similar but the speed at which your bat needs to get into the zone is much different.
You would need to account for the difference in barrel size too.

Nov 9, 2021
The phrase “maxed out” is always interesting to me. How does one know when someone’s actually maxed out?

Probably never truly maxed out in those three areas. But I would more consider it when you are having negligible gains even with a lot of work. Only so much time so I would focus on the areas where you can improve the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Exactly. Montana Fouts is far from perfect in form but when you throw high 60's to 70's the focus hasn't been on gaining another 1-3 mph.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes