Pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Only if he can't explain the scientific difference between early and late movement.
Remind me what Robert Adair's opinion of balls that reacted opposite to the magnus effect was, I can't remember.

Balls that actually move opposite to their spin

The scientific difference is pretty easy to understand

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Aw Ken,,, now ya went and did it. Now you have to take the next two hours and explain what 'Good form'. She's new so explain in detail.

I'm gonna go make some popcorn, maybe re-paint the house while you finish that novel. LOL

I realize this will probably ruffle some feathers and I may even get band, but here goes:

popcorn1.gif (Just in case you need more)

Bad Form

Good Form

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From a physics standpoint, there is no "late break" on a pitch. Batters perceive a late break if they are late in identifying the pitch as a breaking pitch or if they misjudge the speed of the pitch.

If you want your DD to throw a pitch with a late break:

(1) She has to learn how to change speeds (not simply throw a changeup) with her breaking pitches.
(2) Have the same motion for all pitches.
(3) Hide all clues as the pitch she is throwing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Remind me what Robert Adair's opinion of balls that reacted opposite to the magnus effect was, I can't remember.

Balls that actually move opposite to their spin

The scientific difference is pretty easy to understand

They are categorized as knuckleballs or gyroballs ;).

Can a soft thrower have late movement?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
From a physics standpoint, there is no "late break" on a pitch. Batters perceive a late break if they are late in identifying the pitch as a breaking pitch or if they misjudge the speed of the pitch.

If you want your DD to throw a pitch with a late break:

(1) She has to learn how to change speeds (not simply throw a changeup) with her breaking pitches.
(3) Hide all clues as the pitch she is throwing.

Like the rising fastball, the breaking pitch contradicts the laws the physics - the trajectory of every spinning pitch is smooth with no sudden changes.

the ball is in a free fall throughout its flight - the longer the pitch is in the air, the farther it falls

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can part of the illusion come from the delivery? I think the screw and curve are two pitches where pitchers may not get much "break," but because of the way some deliver the ball, you look for it going somewhere it doesn't.

Feb 5, 2010
Wait !!! does this hold true for horizontal and vertical? So my sore toe is my fault, she is going to be so disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1