Pitching out of the pocket

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 27, 2010
My friends daughter goes to a pitching coach that teaches out of the pocket follow through. To me this seems like it would be very hard on the elbow. He says that it won't hurt them because they won't be pitching many fastballs after 12 and it hides what they are pitching much better.

Thoughts???

Mar 27, 2010
the hand ends at the innner thigh. The right inner thigh on a rightie and the left on a leftie. Almost like the follow through on a splitter but to the back leg not the front.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In order to stop there you have to slow down before release. This isn't a pitching coach, that girl needs to put her time, money and effort into a different coach.

There are several camps on follow through, but I have never heard of stopping at the inner thigh. A baseball pitcher would never stop his hand at chest high right after his release point. It wouldn't make sense for him to do so, just like it doesn't make sense for a softball pitcher to stop her follow through right after release.

Oct 22, 2009
I also don't understand it "hides what they are pitching" after the statement they won't be pitching fastballs after 12u.
Sounds like he is just using this as a fastball release, so what are they hiding?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
FOR THE RECORD: Please note I was polite in my first response.

He says that it won't hurt them because they won't be pitching many fastballs after 12 and it hides what they are pitching much better.

He got that right...they won't be pitching many fastballs after 12. Of course, they won't be pitching many curves, rises, drops, and screwballs either--because his students will be sitting on the bench watching someone else pitch.

Apr 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure in another thread we established that the fastball is still thrown in college.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish