Pitching out of the pocket

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
We went to an instructor who use that phrase " pitch out of the pocket ". This was to get the pitcher basically to get more arm whip by bending the elbow but nothing to do with the follow through. He said to let the arm just naturally go where it wants to after the release. In order to "pitch out of the pocket " you have to bend at the elbow if not your release with a locked elbow would be about mid thigh. I believe Doug Gillis uses this phrase and our former instructor was schooled by Gillis. [ By the way he is our former instuctor only due to logistic problems we were very pleased with the improvement ]

Oct 3, 2009
After reading and thinking about this thread it finally came to mind. I won't name any names(actually I can't remember his name, I am getting old) but a few years back we were in the St Louis area for a few days and I took my DD to a pitching instructor who was going to take a look at her and give her his opinion. He suggested this very thing, and also using the glove hand like you were swatting at a fly, pulling your glove hand out away from your face and then slapping it to you thigh. This he said would pul your shoulders around and you would get more speed. Needless to say we ran away with our tails between our legs. Now there were some really good pitchers there, and the place was big and obviously he had a good business going with not only pitching but hitting as well, including baseball. But it was not something we were interested in.

I am from the area and my guess is you are talking about Jim Greiner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish