Pitching instructor won’t allow dd coach to attend lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I think the PI in the original story was given enough info that he knows this HC is going to come storming in, telling him he's wrong. He just doesn't want to deal with that. I can't blame him.

Jul 1, 2019
at DD's last pitching instruction with Java, she threw maybe 4 pitches. We all spent the rest of the time going over classroom stuff, the code behind the application, if you will. The point being that Java wanted to make DD a better pitcher, me a better coach, and DW a better partner. That's what a good PI does.

DD's has had more than a couple lessons where they only pitched for 20-30 minutes of it and the rest was spent talking about pitching. How to attack a batter, pitch selections, the experience he had as his daughter went from 8U through college, recruiting, arm care, why he's teaching xx now and what it can help 12 months from now, what exact role she fills on her team and whats next, etc. Obviously this can't/won't be covered in the first handful of lessons with any PI, but I believe that if the PI is genuinely invested in his students, conversations such as these are important too. It has completely changed the way DD approaches the game, herself as an athlete (especially as a pitcher), and how she holds herself accountable for her own successes and failures.

Aug 6, 2013
I think the PI in the original story was given enough info that he knows this HC is going to come storming in, telling him he's wrong. He just doesn't want to deal with that. I can't blame him.
I’m not sure where you are getting the impression that HC would do anything of the sort. HC has been a coach for many years and not only does he coach TB he coaches a local high school team as the head coach. He also has a grown daughter that was a pitcher. I’m sure he is set in his ways but he also said if there is a method that works for his players then he won’t try and change it, he just wants to understand it. Will he question things? Probably and after reading through this thread I realize at this point in the process I need dd’s coaches to be more on the same page so we are looking for a different pitching instructor.

Jul 14, 2018
You could watch 20 of my DD's lessons and within 10 minutes of trying to fix something on your own you'd be at a loss. You don't become a pitching professional by watching a few lessons.

This another important point, in any given 1-hour lesson, DD is working on one or two specific things. Unless the lesson becomes something for the benefit of the coach, they're not going to get anything like an "overview" of what the whole motion involves.

Oct 4, 2018
I’m not sure where you are getting the impression that HC would do anything of the sort. HC has been a coach for many years and not only does he coach TB he coaches a local high school team as the head coach. He also has a grown daughter that was a pitcher. I’m sure he is set in his ways but he also said if there is a method that works for his players then he won’t try and change it, he just wants to understand it. Will he question things? Probably and after reading through this thread I realize at this point in the process I need dd’s coaches to be more on the same page so we are looking for a different pitching instructor.

I read your words and I came to that conclusion.

Is it that hard to believe that the Pitching Instructor heard your words and came to that same conclusion?

Aug 6, 2013
I read your words and I came to that conclusion.

Is it that hard to believe that the Pitching Instructor heard your words and came to that same conclusion?
Well considering what I said to the PI was “The time works out perfect, thanks. I have asked her HC to come to the lesson as well. He will be the one working with dd more than anyone other than myself and I would like for him to see what she is being instructed as well”

That’s it. Word for word actually because I sent him an email and text. I never mentioned anything about lower body differences.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I will add my voice to those pitching instructors who welcome a head coach attending lessons. I have had them come out before, and may have one coming Monday. Normally they come out to see what I'm teaching so they can reinforce whatever the best cues are during a game and help their pitchers succeed. I have never had one openly challenge me or even mildly disagree during a lesson.

From the other side, when I was coaching teams and had pitchers who were not my students I would usually contact their PIs to find out what they were working on, what to reinforce with them, and how to help them when they struggled. When they told me I thanked them for their input and did just that, even if it wasn't the way I would teach them.

The goal should be the player's success. If everyone is on that page all should be happy.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Bill, MadBandit and everyone else, just wanted to let you know I moved your discussion about men's fastpitch to a new thread in the Softball Discussions forum. I think it's a good and worthy discussion but off-topic for this particular thread about head coaches sitting in on pitching lessons. Thanks for your understanding, and have at it there!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I will add my voice to those pitching instructors who welcome a head coach attending lessons. I have had them come out before, and may have one coming Monday. Normally they come out to see what I'm teaching so they can reinforce whatever the best cues are during a game and help their pitchers succeed. I have never had one openly challenge me or even mildly disagree during a lesson.

From the other side, when I was coaching teams and had pitchers who were not my students I would usually contact their PIs to find out what they were working on, what to reinforce with them, and how to help them when they struggled. When they told me I thanked them for their input and did just that, even if it wasn't the way I would teach them.

The goal should be the player's success. If everyone is on that page all should be happy.

Thank you Ken for posting and reinforcing common sense!

Success of player is goal
All involved should have that goal as well.

Open communication leads to everyone learning!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
While most of us might agree that the success of the player should be the top priority, the rub then is that there isn't an agreement on what that means. For example, I worked with a young lady in hitting who's instructor wanted her to hit down on the ball and run. There came a point where I had to jump in and say that that was not working. That hitting instructor and myself were never going to agree.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez