Pitching for Dummies, AKA: huh?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I know Nada, Zilch, Zero, squadoochi about pitches.:confused:

Can I get the dummy version of what the different pitches are, and how they approach the plate?

thank you!! I am forever in your debt. (Well, for the next few hours at least..)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Fastball--generally thrown at a high velocity. Pitch doesn't move horizontally or vertically.
Drop ball-- a pitch that moves vertically down as it reaches the plate.
Rise ball--a pitch that moves (or appears to move) vertically upward. (Please, no debate).
Curve ball--a pitch that moves horizontally right to left, as viewed from the perspective of the pitcher. So, it moves away from a right handed batter.
screw ball--a pitch that moves horizontally left to right, as viewed from the perspective of the pitcher. So, it moves toward a right handed batter.
change-up---a pitch that is significantly slower than a fastball.
off-speed--a pitch that is slower than a fastball, but faster than a change-up.

You can combine the pitches to invent new ones: drop-curve, screw-rise, etc.

A true breaking pitch moves about 12 inches. Daddies like to think a ball moving 2 inches is breaking pitch.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2009
omg. THANK YOU!
And if my daughter is pretty good with the fast ball, which pitch would be next in line to learn? She just turned 10.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
omg. THANK YOU!
And if my daughter is pretty good with the fast ball, which pitch would be next in line to learn? She just turned 10.

I think most would agree that the next pitch should be a change-up. At her age, it should be about 15 mph slower than the fastball to fool the batter. I would purchase a book and/or videos of the different pitching grips and techniques. According to my DDs pitching coach, the horseshoe grip is one of the easiest to learn. You need to educate yourself or find a PC for your DD so both of you can learn. I would not be in a rush to learn new pitches until she is very good with her fastball's speed and hitting her locations often. Lastly, don't forget to continue to work on the fastball mechanics as she is learning a new pitch.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When my dd learned pitches in order Fastball; change-up, peel drop, rise curve, drop curve,
screwball, curve, rise, drop screw. The rise curve was not taught until she reached 45 mph.
The rise was not taught until she was consistently 51 or higher. good luck to you and her.
Being a softball parent is a great experience. Being the parent of a pitcher is a different beast entirely...

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Fastball--generally thrown at a high velocity. Pitch doesn't move horizontally or vertically.
Drop ball-- a pitch that moves vertically down as it reaches the plate.
Rise ball--a pitch that moves (or appears to move) vertically upward. (Please, no debate).
Curve ball--a pitch that moves horizontally right to left, as viewed from the perspective of the pitcher. So, it moves away from a right handed batter.
screw ball--a pitch that moves horizontally left to right, as viewed from the perspective of the pitcher. So, it moves toward a right handed batter.
change-up---a pitch that is significantly slower than a fastball.
off-speed--a pitch that is slower than a fastball, but faster than a change-up.

You can combine the pitches to invent new ones: drop-curve, screw-rise, etc.

A true breaking pitch moves about 12 inches. Daddies like to think a ball moving 2 inches is breaking pitch.

A pitch that breaks 2 inches is called wind and gravity! LOL!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1