Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2010
My dd is taking lessons from someone that teaches the Tim Timmons method of picthing(Fluid Motion). Does anyone out there have any experience with this methodology and can you give any useful advice.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OK...there is no "fluid motion" pitching method. There is a "right way to pitch".

The two questions for pitching coaches are:

(A) Does the coach know the correct way to pitch?
(B) Can the coach teach pitching?

If she/he can't do both (A) and (B), then you are throwing your money away. The only way to know if the guy can do (A) is to find out what the guy teaches. The only way you are going to find out that is to go to a couple of lessons. I suggest you post here about what he is teaching and we can quickly figure out if the guy knows what he is doing or is clueless.

Here is a quick hint: Pitching is *NOT* rocket science. It consists of basic, simple principles of athletic motion. If he can't explain "Why" he is teaching something, then he doesn't know what he is doing.

As to (B), the only way you'll know that is by seeing if your DD is learning anything.

Aug 21, 2008
Powerhitterdad

I still don't quite understand. I've never heard of anyone who doesn't teach "fluid motion". Not every pitcher has a fluid motion, many are herky jerky or crowhopping (which is a form of not being fluid), but I've never heard of someone calling that a method of pitching before. Now I've never met Tim Timmons, I couldn't pick him out of a police line up so I cannot say whether this guy knows his stuff or not. I did see an interview with Ms Osterman once (on Youtube, I think) where she talks about going to this guy for lessons when she was young, but then changed instructors and her pitching took off. I don't know if that was just a statement of fact or what.

Bill

Bill

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Bill, I would ask if Tim Timmons teaches the "Fuid Motion" who teaches the non fluid motion? Like Sluggers says, there is a right way to pitch. Trouble is, not many of these purported pitching coaches know what that is. I am around college softball pitchers all of the time and I would say that no more than 20% actually have decent mechanics. Most are way off the mark when it comes to getting optimal performance from their abilities.

Oct 22, 2009
Fluid Motion is the name Tim came up with to sell his DVD's.

His "style" is the step style.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I just looked at the link, and part of the description says he has had 30,000 students in 20 years of coaching youth softball. I just did the math. That would mean he'd have to have 1,500 unique students each year.

If he did them one at a time, that would mean teaching 4 students a day, every single day of the year. If he did them six at a time, that means 250 days of teaching, which is five days a week every week, with two weeks off for vacation. Then the next year he'd have to find another 1,500 kids, which would be no small feat.

I dunno, something about that sounds odd. I don't know the guy either, and he may be a heckuva teacher. But when people start quoting numbers like that it makes me suspicious about the rest of their credibility.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many people count the kids that are at clinics as their students. So, if you had a clinic with 50 kids in the AM and 50 more in the PM, you had 100 kids that weekend.

I have never counted those kids as my students.

I started teams and clinics, etc. when I was 18. I wonder how many students I have had? Plus, I wonder if anyone cares? Ha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877