pitchers hands together before batter in batter box??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Ok, I am trying to understand an "unwritten" rule, or possibly not even a rule.

Pitcher goes onto pitching rubber with hands separate...

Pitcher takes signal from catcher or coach etc...

Pitcher brings hands together....

Pitcher separates hands and pitch begins at that point....

Here is my question or need opinions since I cannot find a written ASA rule:
Can the pitcher get signal and bring hands together before batter is in batter box??
Once batter in box, take the minimum 1 second pause as required and pitch or does the pitcher have to wait for the batter to be in the batters box before bringing hands together?

The way I am interpreting the rules... there is no written rule on when the pitcher can or cannot bring their hands together regarding the batter being in the box beside time requirements of how quickly the pitch must be delivered once receiving the ball back in the circle.

Hope someone can point me to the rule of when the pitcher is allowed to bring her hands together regarding the batter being in or out of the batter box.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2008
There is no limitation in the rule on when the pitcher can take the signal or bring the hands together. Basically the batter has 10 seconds to enter the box after being directed by the umpire. The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball or being directed to pitch by the umpire. Prior to the pitch the batter must have both feet completely within the batters box. If the pitcher attempts to quick pitch the batter, the umpire should call a no pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad