Pitcher Taking Signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
OK, I don't know why this bothers me as it shouldn't, but does the pitcher have to have a foot on the pitching plate when she receives the signals from the catcher? I asked an umpire this weekend after one of my GDD's games and he explained that she could take the signal from behind the plate and then simulate taking the signal when she stepped on the plate. But in two games I saw this weekend, the pitcher took the signal from behind the plate and then pitched the ball without the catcher even bothering to simulate a signal. I guess I have played, coached, and seen too many baseball games.:D

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The pitcher can take a signal from anyone and she can take it at anytime, either before or after engaging the pitcher's plate.

The rule that says she must "take, or simulate taking a signal" once she steps on the plate is intended only to prevent a quick pitch- one where the pitcher steps right on the plate and immediately rolls through with the pitch, catching the batter off-balance or off-guard.

So, what the pitcher actually has to do to meet the requirement of this rule is to simply pause, with the hands separated, and momentarily face the batter and catcher once she steps on the plate. This meets the requirement of "simulating" signal being received.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Quick pitch was what was in the back of my mind and would not move forward. That is why I tell my GDD to hold her hand up to the umpire until she is ready. The two instances I saw last weekend, the girls were definitely not trying to quick pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
In reality, pitchers who take the call behind the plate ALL quick pitch.

Only called once and that was because the ump heard the coach say hurry up to the pitcher. (The other side was trying to delay game for time limit.)

All pitchers that take the signal behind the plate do not quick pitch. I have seen plenty of pitchers that take the signal off the plate and still pause before delivering the pitch.

As for holding the hand up to stop play, holding the hand up means absolutely nothing unless the umpire has actually given the batter time. If a batter is holding up their hand expecting to automatically get time, they had better look to make sure the umpire has actually given it. It has been stressed the past couple of years that once the batter is in position and the pitcher in position to not give time to the batter unless there is a legitimate reason for doing so.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I understand that the umpire is in control when the GDD raises her hands and she understands that. But a lot of pitchers at 12u don't.:D They wait until she is ready. Go figure.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've noticed that some teams are being coached to hold their forward hand up toward the pitcher. That's nice and all, but how long do you think a Billy Martin-wannabe starts telling his pitchers to pitch when they see that.

Mar 13, 2010
Problem is, you have coaches who don't understand this and it causes a scene. There's no need for a batter to put her hand up and coaching it to fool 10 and 11 year old's is kind of defeating the purpose of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red