Pitch Calling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
There aren’t many ladies that Legit throw in the 70’s. My guess is your DD is Carly Hoover or Kelly Barnhopper. There may be a few others like the So for Alabama but those two stand out.
Not an SEC fan I think they are overrated in softball & football.
I think they are the best conference in softball top to bottom. But when almost every team in your conference makes the tourney and your not winning the WCWS every year that gives me pause. Best conference yes. Best team no.
I hope Clemson knocks the stuffing out of LSU!!!
Let's all take a deep breath just seems like a lot of talking past each other going on. I think the point I was trying to make is there isn't really any benifit to throwing a flat, straight ball. You seem to be throwing out an arguement about throwing a get it over strike on a team that is going to take the first pitch. your assumption seem to be that without a straight falt pitch your can't make sure you are throwing a strike. Once you have the umpires zone down maybe takes an inninngs or so, as an elite pitcher you should be able to throw a strike even with a movement pitch...you don't have to throw it straight and flat for it to be a strike...

Apr 28, 2019
Let's all take a deep breath just seems like a lot of talking past each other going on. I think the point I was trying to make is there isn't really any benifit to throwing a flat, straight ball. You seem to be throwing out an arguement about throwing a get it over strike on a team that is going to take the first pitch. your assumption seem to be that without a straight falt pitch your can't make sure you are throwing a strike. Once you have the umpires zone down maybe takes an inninngs or so, as an elite pitcher you should be able to throw a strike even with a movement pitch...you don't have to throw it straight and flat for it to be a strike...
I’m saying a straight pitch has it’s place like anything else. Not necessarily flat but at a specific spot.
Ever hear of “high heat”?, “Climb the ladder”, “elevate”
Maybe you guys are too young or don’t equate baseball enough with softball. Ever hear of Nolan Ryan? He had a wicked curve ball but his go to pitch was the “Ryan Express”. Fastball Fella’s. Nothing fancy rear back and challenge hitters to hit your fastest pitch.
Why do you think speed is so coveted in softball/baseball? The faster you throw the less time a hitter has to react to your pitch. More guessing on batters part. Advantage pitcher.
Like I have said I love movement pitches but there are times when you can’t afford contact and need a K. Sometimes you need to find that extra gear and just blow one by a hitter. Maybe it’s a rise, maybe it’s a drop or maybe it’s a 4 seam fastball near the center of the plate. Why? Because pitching is about deception and keeping the hitter off balance. Challenge the hitter!!! This is all I got either I’m better than you or you got me this time. But if you got me know I gave you all I had and you deserve it!!! Hats off to you. Sometimes you win the battle and sometimes you don’t. If I lose I’m gonna do it with my best pitch!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I’m saying a straight pitch has it’s place like anything else. Not necessarily flat but at a specific spot.
Ever hear of “high heat”?, “Climb the ladder”, “elevate”
Maybe you guys are too young or don’t equate baseball enough with softball. Ever hear of Nolan Ryan? He had a wicked curve ball but his go to pitch was the “Ryan Express”. Fastball Fella’s. Nothing fancy rear back and challenge hitters to hit your fastest pitch.
Why do you think speed is so coveted in softball/baseball? The faster you throw the less time a hitter has to react to your pitch. More guessing on batters part. Advantage pitcher.
Like I have said I love movement pitches but there are times when you can’t afford contact and need a K. Sometimes you need to find that extra gear and just blow one by a hitter. Maybe it’s a rise, maybe it’s a drop or maybe it’s a 4 seam fastball near the center of the plate. Why? Because pitching is about deception and keeping the hitter off balance. Challenge the hitter!!! This is all I got either I’m better than you or you got me this time. But if you got me know I gave you all I had and you deserve it!!! Hats off to you. Sometimes you win the battle and sometimes you don’t. If I lose I’m gonna do it with my best pitch!!!
So just to be clear a Nolan Ryan fastball did not move. That is what you are going with?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Caylan Arnold first at UT now at FSU threw a ligit 70+ in HS. I watched her. When she got to UT, threw 65ish with great spin. There’s a reason they changed her. Flat Speed in the P5 doesn’t get you anywhere.

Apr 28, 2019
So just to be clear a Nolan Ryan fastball did not move. That is what you are going with?
Depends which one he threw. My point being if a hitter can’t catch-up to your heater you have the advantage. That being said you want to move the ball around as much as possible. There are times in certain counts where you need to throw a strike 3-0, 3-1, 3-2, and you can’t rely on hitter swinging at something off the plate.
I understand what your saying you want hitters to chase pitches off the plate and that’s all well and good. Ump’s don’t always call “pitchers pitches strikes because they are not strikes. They look like strikes initially then move off the plate in a given direction.
You need to give the hitter something in the zone to offer at. You can’t rely on a called 3rd strike.
I have seen many batters in all age groups K on fastballs down the chute they couldn’t catch-up to.
I understand good hitters adjust and eventually will “be on” your hard stuff 2nd, 3rd time through the order that’s why you pick your spots.
The pitchers job is to keep the bat off the ball as much as possible and pitch to soft contact.
I can’t explain it any more clearly than that RB. Have yourself a good night.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ok. I will play. A properly thrown IR fastball from a RHP will have a 1-7 rotation causing it to break down and in to a RHB. Get your fingers outside the ball for an 11-5 rotation that will break down and away. At a minimum you will see some movement. If you can get to 30+ RPS you will see significant movement. Use to laugh at the talking heads on ESPN talking about my DD's great curve ball. Never could throw a curve, but had an exceptional fastball that she put in a tea cup and moved left or right. Seemed to work for her.

Thankyou for bringing this discussion point to the forum.

Glad it opened up more discussion.

Which is the point of getting people to think and communicate more!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Certainly there are many on this discussion forum that have attended different lessons with different instructors utilizing different mechanics. Certainly there have been pitchers who are taught to throw a pitch one way, who went to another instructor and was taught to throw it a different way. Including different verbage.
For instance speaking about a fastball that tales down or tends to tale left or right.... some instructors and pitchers consider that a peel drop.
Some instructors teach same thing. Call it a curve drop or screw drop.

Semantics TO the direction of spin.

Have also had the opportunity to catch pitchers and attend their lessons. Like others on this forum have experienced learning different things.
From these experiences,
We all know different mechanics and strategies can be successful.

Bodies are dfferent.
Pitchers are all different.
The best in the nation show us no two pitchers are exactly
the same. Even catching multiple pitchers of the same instructors pitchers are different!

Perhaps what the best pitchers all have incommon are location and control !

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Lovation
Certainly there are many on this discussion forum that have attended different lessons with different instructors utilizing different mechanics. Certainly there have been pitchers who are taught to throw a pitch one way, who went to another instructor and was taught to throw it a different way. Including different verbage.
For instance speaking about a fastball that tales down or tends to tale left or right.... some instructors and pitchers consider that a peel drop.
Some instructors teach same thing. Call it a curve drop or screw drop.

Semantics TO the direction of spin.

Have also had the opportunity to catch pitchers and attend their lessons. Like others on this forum have experienced learning different things.
From these experiences,
We all know different mechanics and strategies can be successful.

Bodies are dfferent.
Pitchers are all different.
The best in the nation show us no two pitchers are exactly
the same. Even catching multiple pitchers of the same instructors pitchers are different!

Perhaps what the best pitchers all have incommon are location and control !
Location, control and change of speed. A hitter has to have timing. A pitchers job is to disrupt that timing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Put a water bottle on a bucket on top of home plate. Have them throw their best pitch 10 times. If they can knock the water bottle off the bucket 7 out of 10 times, without hitting the bucket to do it they are pitcher. Otherwise calling pitches is just an exercise in futility and all you are doing is enabling a fantasy for the pitcher and their parents.

ROFL.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For movement pitches *during a game*, the most important factors for success are:

1) Control
2) Relative movement compared to the other pitches.
3) Similarity between pitches.

Control is the ability to move the location of the pitch by 4 inches around the plate. This gives the pitcher the ability to find and pitch at the edge of the strike zone.

Relative movement is the amount of movement COMPARED TO THE PITCHER'S OTHER PITCHES. The absolute movement (how much the ball breaks) doesn't matter. If your fastball drops 3 inches and your drop ball drops 4 inches, your drop ball sucks. (All pitches drop. Some drop less than others.)

Similarity in motion is whether the pitching motion and initial ball flight path are similar. Mariano Rivera success was due in large part to the fact that his arm slot and release point for his two pitches were almost identical. (Poor Mariano. Poor my DD. Both only had two pitches)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00