Pitchers parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I've told this story before. My DD went to a clinic that Javasource gave when she was 12. He asked me at the beginning of the clinic how hard she threw. Told him almost 53. At the end of the clinic she's throwing 56. He comes up to me with this confused look on his face, saying "You told me she only threw 53?!?"

Jun 8, 2016
I've told this story before. My DD went to a clinic that Javasource gave when she was 12. He asked me at the beginning of the clinic how hard she threw. Told him almost 53. At the end of the clinic she's throwing 56. He comes up to me with this confused look on his face, saying "You told me she only threw 53?!?"

If he was clocking her on a walk-through then you were still probably right..lol.

Jan 22, 2011
I think it was more he was surprised I said she threw 53 and that is what she threw, when not walking through.

Oct 4, 2018
I think it was more he was surprised I said she threw 53 and that is what she threw, when not walking through.

Yeah, silly stuff. I can tell you what my DD throws and you can clock her and it'll be pretty darn close. Maybe some parents don't really know, or were told something false. But most are probably just embellishing.

Jan 25, 2022
Yup, clocking other people's kids is a dicey proposition. I sometimes hand them the radar so they can clock their own kid. Because they really do want to know, but they don't always want anyone else to know.

I really don't care with my own kid. I am fine if people know.

We asked our other other pitcher and she said she didn't want to know, so we didn't. She throws the hardest of all of ours. We did exit velocity with it one night too. They all loved that one. Even us coaches got into it.

Jan 25, 2022

I like the autocorrect. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to download Java for the past two hours.

Edit: Ok just to be sure, I googled Javasource fastpitch. Had no idea...lol

Jul 1, 2019
I have to say as a pitchers parent I'm in the under-promise and over deliver camp as opposed to over stating what DD can put out there. She's a movement pitcher, has a great curve that she can manipulate to change the pitch. She throws a palm up curve that breaks a ton. Pitch called high and out she'll drop her fingers a touch to make it more of a crise, down and out she'll pronate just a little and make it more of a drop curve, middle of the zone she'll throw it with all run. We don't market these as three different pitches. They're curveballs that she can adjust for a better result, but thats a conversation she has with her catcher and coach (or prospective coach if she's at a camp). If they call a screw, she throws hard and angled towards the inside (probably with a little drop to it). She doesn't market herself as having a screwball. Riseball, she's got an almost pure backspin rise.....or a bullet spin rise that's about 5mph faster than the backspin. Again, not marketed at two different pitches even though they behave differently, she decides which to throw based on location or a conversation she's had with the coach.

Same thought process goes into her pitch speeds. She's hit 65, very regularly hits 64, after 80 pitches she's still able to hit 63 consistently. If you ask me how fast she throw's, I'll tell you 63 on the FB. But, since she's a movement pitcher her FB is probably only thrown about 5-10% of the time, I'll probably tell you that she changes speeds based on the pitch that's called so in all actuality she throws at about 5 different speeds.

Nov 29, 2009
I used to get asked how fast my DD threw and people would give me the "Wudda mean" face when I told them I didn't know. I haven't put a gun on her in two years. That usually ended most of the curiosity seekers looking for validation for their DD's.

If you really want to drive them crazy tell them you don't know what speed she's throwing at, but her spin rate is XX on XX pitch. Their heads will explode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00