Pitchers parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I run into a Dad about once a year that swears my DD had a killer screwball when she was in 10u. She didn't, she just turned her wrist outward slightly at release because when I was trying to teach her to pitch in 8u I didn't understand fully what Bill @Hillhouse was doing in his DVD's. Saw him again tonight at a High School game and he still insists my DD had a screwball.

Aug 21, 2008
being born with 6 fingers isn't all that rare. It effects about 1 in 1,000 babies. But like you, I can't recall meeting any 6 fingered men outside the Princess Bride movie. Maybe I have an they just didn't mention it and I didn't notice it.
Then you have to have to hope the 1 in 1000's babies with extra fingers wants to be a catcher. Then you have to hope the catcher with extra fingers gets to call pitches instead of using the wrist bands from the dugout where the catcher doesn't have to put down pitch calls. LOL. What a process!!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Then you have to have to hope the 1 in 1000's babies with extra fingers wants to be a catcher. Then you have to hope the catcher with extra fingers gets to call pitches instead of using the wrist bands from the dugout where the catcher doesn't have to put down pitch calls. LOL. What a process!!
Hard luck would be a catcher with six fingers on the left hand, but throws right.

Aug 23, 2016
I can not understand why anyone would purposely lie about how fast there daughter throws. It just makes no sense to me.
It doesn't make sense to me either, but people do it all the time.

Sometimes I think they parents see a speed for a walkthrough and decide that's how fast their kid can throw. Or sometimes the kid, knowing the gun is out, will throw as hard as they can but it's not a speed they can maintain for very long (and the pitch may not be close to being a strike). But that's their top speed now.

Or there are the kids who throw hard, but have no stamina - the first time around the order they're blowing it past everyone, the second time they're throwing BP. Those kids may legitimately say they have a top speed of 60+, but if you only see them during their third or fourth inning you'd never believe it.

May 13, 2021
It doesn't make sense to me either, but people do it all the time.

Sometimes I think they parents see a speed for a walkthrough and decide that's how fast their kid can throw. Or sometimes the kid, knowing the gun is out, will throw as hard as they can but it's not a speed they can maintain for very long (and the pitch may not be close to being a strike). But that's their top speed now.

Or there are the kids who throw hard, but have no stamina - the first time around the order they're blowing it past everyone, the second time they're throwing BP. Those kids may legitimately say they have a top speed of 60+, but if you only see them during their third or fourth inning you'd never believe it.
Well I wouldn't necessarily call that purposely lying. If I had a conversation with someone that had a daughter that pitched and the subject came up I would just take for granted that whatever number he told me took place during a practice session when she was trying to throw as hard as she could. Kind of like when someone talks about 40 times it is guaranteed that time was taken in optimum conditions when they were doing all they can to run as fast as they can, not half way through a game in the 3rd quarter while running a go route. Lying would be telling someone your daughter throws 50mph when 46 was as fast as you have ever seen her clocked.

Oct 4, 2018
being born with 6 fingers isn't all that rare. It effects about 1 in 1,000 babies. But like you, I can't recall meeting any 6 fingered men outside the Princess Bride movie. Maybe I have an they just didn't mention it and I didn't notice it.
1682005360417.png

Oct 4, 2018
I got myself a pocket radar for Christmas. Took it to the cage one night to see what my kid was throwing. I had guessed she was flirting with 50 here and there. Turned out it was 45 dead-on almost every time.

Another kid was there and her parents had claimed she was clocked at 58 at a D1 camp about 6 months earlier. I knew that wasnt accurate anyway, but I had been told the only number witnessed on the radar that day was 47. Eyeball radar said she wasn't throwing a whole lot faster than my kid. So with her permission, she was clocked and never got past 49, which she only hit twice.

I don't know if she got in the car crying or what, but boy did it almost hit the fan. Never clocking her again.

Yup, clocking other people's kids is a dicey proposition. I sometimes hand them the radar so they can clock their own kid. Because they really do want to know, but they don't always want anyone else to know.

I really don't care with my own kid. I am fine if people know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00