Pitch Calling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Other than say the person actually throwing the ball...

If a catcher calls the pitch but at pitcher has a right of refusal (shakes head yes or no) who is really calling the game? It's semantics....
True but sometimes the catcher is a little more detached and unbiased...the pitcher can think their stuff is good or moving or the ump just isn't giving them calls or some girl who hit a bomb off her last time just got lucky etc....the catcher usually sees the pitchers performance for exactly what it is at the moment, I do think most pitchers probably grade their performance OK in retrospect but retrospect is too late in game....my two cents. Granted in the end the pitcher can throw whatever pitch she wants.

Sep 29, 2014
If you want use a milk jug. You will still be lucky to get 7 of 10. :)
I like this drill in reverse put a basketball on a tee middle of plate about center ball belt high now throw strikes without hitting the ball...yeah it's subjective but fun...usually at end of workout.

I do think alot of parents and girls have a very overrated sense of what they can actually do in terms of controlling different pitches especially 12U by 16U most of them are smart enough and have seen enough to have a feeling of their limitations even if their parents don't.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If your fastball does not have significant movement you are doing it wrong. If you cannot master a fastball I would be suspect of all your pitches.

Fastball movement...
Do explain?
Hope your refering to throwing it atleast as hard as other pitches.....;)

You will never have to see a fastball because of the Magnificent significance of all the other pitches and their locations!!! :)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Fastball movement...
Do explain?
Hope your refering to throwing it atleast as hard as other pitches.....;)
My DD threw a 2 seam in the SEC that typically was in the 67-69mph range and topped out at 72 her Senior year. Properly thrown a good IR fastball should have noticeable to significant movement. What you have experienced as a non moving fastball was most likely bulletspin. Which to your point should rarely if ever be thrown. Visit the Pitching Forum and check out the stickies for how it works.

Apr 28, 2019
As a coach of a 14u Competitive team im getting the honor of calling pitches this upcoming season.
Wanted to get other coaches opinion on the how many types of pitches do they want their pitchers to throw?
I like to have our pitchers throw 3 different type ( fastball, change-up, and either drop, curve, or screw ).

Love to hear other coaches thoughts on the matter?
Coach, catcher, pitcher get together before the game and talk about strategy.
If you scouted the team your going to face you should already have an idea how you want to attack hitters.
Also get together in between innings and talk about what’s working and what’s not. Make adjustments.
I prefer catcher calling the game and coach maybe stepping in once in a while in crucial instances.
I tell my daughter you throw what’s working and what you have the most confidence in in critical situations especially with hard stuff.
The coach won’t know the difference between a 2, 3, 4 seam fastball or rise, drop. A good curve they should be able to see lots of movement and detect. Obviously a change is the pitch that would stand out the most. If they call a change you really don’t have a choice.

Sep 29, 2014
My DD threw a 2 seam in the SEC that typically was in the 67-69mph range and topped out at 72 her Senior year. Properly thrown a good IR fastball should have noticeable to significant movement. What you have experienced as a non moving fastball was most likely bulletspin. Which to your point should rarely if ever be thrown. Visit the Pitching Forum and check out the stickies for how it works.
Yeah very few things make me cringe more than hearing someone say their PC wants them to throw the ball straighter because their fastball has a little tail that goes down and away a little....ugh

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You did not explain movement.

My catching and pitch calling experience comes from top tier travel. Sunset league h.s. div 1 champions. Competing with and beating national championship D1 teams.
Including college world series 1st team . Including playing womens open travel ball 7 years.
Coaching D1 & womens open.
Calling pitches for pitchers who became olympic pitchers.
Also In womens open.
As well playing with and calling pitches for national team pitchers.

When i said
Success is in the books.
I was being serious.

Respectfully
Explain movement?
Not an arguement, simply the opportunity for you to explain what you are reffering to.
Good for people to understand what you are
bringing up.

Regardless
LEAST called pitch in my years of experience.
Like I said, read the stickies. Your enlightenment is only a mouse click away. :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Like I said, read the stickies. Your enlightenment is only a mouse click away. :)

Ok... No explanation...
My enlightenment...
Really?!!! Pfffft....

wasn't being disrespectful to you. was trying to have a discussion and share opportunities for you to speak to the differences. Have a good day

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah very few things make me cringe more than hearing someone say their PC wants them to throw the ball straighter because their fastball has a little tail that goes down and away a little....ugh

Thanku for bringing up a
a descriptive difference in pitching results

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ok... No explaination...
My enlightenment...
Really?!!!

wasn't being disrespectful to you. was trying to have a discussion and share opportunities for you to speak to the differences. Have a good day
Ok. I will play. A properly thrown IR fastball from a RHP will have a 1-7 rotation causing it to break down and in to a RHB. Get your fingers outside the ball for an 11-5 rotation that will break down and away. At a minimum you will see some movement. If you can get to 30+ RPS you will see significant movement. Use to laugh at the talking heads on ESPN talking about my DD's great curve ball. Never could throw a curve, but had an exceptional fastball that she put in a tea cup and moved left or right. Seemed to work for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad