pitch calling strtegy - the waste pitch - do you us it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
My DD's team (at a respected college program) has apdapted a pitch calling strategy that includes throwing waste pitches. they define a waste pitch as one so far bad its junk, eg a drop that hits 12" in front of plate, a change that bounces off the plate, or a screw or change more than 4 ball diameters off the plate.

I see this waste pitch strategy as a waste. Maybe at 0-2 every now and then, but they call them at 1-0, 1-1 , even 2-0. Not only do iI see them as a waste its another pitch location to perfect - its not any easier to throw a waste pitch than it is a good one, they all take release point adjustments! And are hus a waste of pracatie time to perfect and they do practice them.

Now the coach is a whole lot more qualified than I but.... ( Their catchers call the game but i presume this an approved strategy). I just don't see college level hitters geting fooled by a pitch that far off espeically when ahead in the count and looking for a "mistake" thrown in the meat of the strike zone

Season just started so maybe this will get straightened out but i wondered if other coaches use a waste pitch in their pitch calling strategy.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My DD's team (at a respected college program) has apdapted a pitch calling strategy that includes throwing waste pitches. they define a waste pitch as one so far bad its junk, eg a drop that hits 12" in front of plate, a change that bounces off the plate, or a screw or change more than 4 ball diameters off the plate.

I see this waste pitch strategy as a waste. Maybe at 0-2 every now and then, but they call them at 1-0, 1-1 , even 2-0. Not only do iI see them as a waste its another pitch location to perfect - its not any easier to throw a waste pitch than it is a good one, they all take release point adjustments! And are hus a waste of pracatie time to perfect and they do practice them.

Now the coach is a whole lot more qualified than I but.... ( Their catchers call the game but i presume this an approved strategy). I just don't see college level hitters geting fooled by a pitch that far off espeically when ahead in the count and looking for a "mistake" thrown in the meat of the strike zone

Season just started so maybe this will get straightened out but i wondered if other coaches use a waste pitch in their pitch calling strategy.

What you refer to as a 'waste' pitch, a smart tactical pitcher will refer to as 'The set up' pitch. Every pitch thrown should be done in such a fashion and intent to cause the batter to do what you want them to. The illustrations you gave are a few very simple ones, there is much more that can be added to make the batter's job impossible. As an example, you can even use different pitching styles / wind ups to do the same thing.

There is a lot more that can be used, if you know what to do.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Wasted pitches are good. But all must be careful that a catcher can handle them. ( mostly at the younger levels ) A pass ball during a wasted pitch or set up pitch can have devastating results.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Why waste a pitch? The term is ridiculous. There are times when you pitch out of the strike zone. Especially if the batter is chasing pitches. But to intentionally throw a pitch with no other reason than to be a waste is just that, wasteful. I don't care who this coach is, they don't know what they are doing.

Nov 1, 2009
I agree that you throw pitches to set up another but if the pitch is as bad as described then it isn't setting anything up. A curve that ends out of the zone could set up a pitch that looks out that tails back in but how is pitch bouncing in front of the plate a set up? We have one of a handful of ASA Hall of Famers here locally and he just wouldn't agree with this coach.

Jan 27, 2010
I do believe there are times to throw a change up that bounces in front of the plate. When the batter is starting to get a bead on the ball but is behind in the count and you just want to put them on notice that she need not get to comfortable with same speed and create a little doubt about what could be coming next. I would seldom throw a change for a strike but more for a set up and to upset the the batter's timing.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2008
if the pitch that you just went to 2-0 on was a ball that was thrown behind the batter what are you the batter or coach doing on the next pitch...if you know the batters you face there are many that will just leave the bat on there shoulder if the count gets to 3-0, and and my pitchers train to come back from 3-0. Don't be closed minded and discount any tool that you may be able to use...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck