Pinon throws 202 pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd ran track a couple of years and with that training and toss in the lateral movement she has developed from basketball. She is really good at running through traffic. She can cross the freeway at rush hour. And not get hit. She really enjoys it and she has in essence been training her whole life to do it. So I figure why should I tel her she shouldn't do it. Just because she
Might get hurt and people who have been around longer then I have says it's not safe?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
People used to say that if you went swimming after eating you would sink and drown. I love how people toss out information from obscure studies or conversations and pass them off as factual information. It is called hearsay. If people are that afraid of their kids getting hurt playing sports, the chess team may be a viable option. We are raising a generation of pajama boys.

Feb 7, 2013
People used to say that if you went swimming after eating you would sink and drown. I love how people toss out information from obscure studies or conversations and pass them off as factual information. It is called hearsay. If people are that afraid of their kids getting hurt playing sports, the chess team may be a viable option. We are raising a generation of pajama boys.

I think most parents realize that sports could involve some injury, the point of this thread as I see it is to try to educate others about the real possibility of overuse injuries if we don't put some limits and perspective on pitching too many innings. No one is suggesting never pitch, only be careful about how much pitching is done in a short amount of time.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I think most parents realize that sports could involve some injury, the point of this thread as I see it is to try to educate others about the real possibility of overuse injuries if we don't put some limits and perspective on pitching too many innings. No one is suggesting never pitch, only be careful about how much pitching is done in a short amount of time.

That's my take as well. But I agree with nearly everything on this thread, to varying degrees. I also agree with Rocketech that we're raising a lot of milk toasts. But I'd add that it's not only the boys who are over protected. After seeing kids in the outfield wearing face masks and heart pads and mouth guards pads everywhere, I told my DW if I could invent some kind of sports bubble that would move and allow use of the hands, I'd get rich off folks who over react to the media's coverage of freak accidents. Every job and every sport has inherent dangers. My take is similar to other posts here - that we as parents need to keep our eyes open and try to keep our kids from getting hurt by something we can easily prevent. I see Rocketech's point: chess may result in fewer injuries per unit time than fastpitch. Now that I think about it, I heard of several occasions where chess players head's blew up...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ok. We are raising a generation of young ladies that will put up with pajama boys. But I really pray that is not the case.

GI-Joe to PJ Boy.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Are we to assume that this Dr. is speaking to baseball pitching? Because, windmill pitching, if done correctly with IR, is a natural motion and shouldn't be causing that kind of psi or risk to the shoulder.
As as far as baseball pitchers go, I've seen more elbow injuries than blown out shoulders. JM2¢

There is nothing natural about it and the stresses are equivalent for softball hurlers as they are for baseball pitchers.

Jun 12, 2012
I don't believe the stress is equal between softball and baseball pitching. Try making a baseball pitcher throw 202 pitches. The pain he would feel would not be equal, if he could even make it to 202 pitches. Mechanics would come into play for fastpitch. Good solid mechanics make you more efficient. I know former college pitchers who are absolutely fine after years of pitching (D1) with solid mechanics, and I know a few who have had multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries. One who had surgeries had poor mechanics, others i'm not sure about. I do believe 202 pitches is the upper end, but I'll bet she has thrown many 200+ pitch games in her pitching career. In the end, she should listen to what her body is telling her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The MLB orgs make huge $$$$ investments in the pitchers that they draft and have comprehensive throwing programs. Looking at the number that are headed for TJ surgery (Pitt's Taillon is the latest) already just this year is indicative that they are still learning about arm health. FP SB hasn't spent nearly the time or money that MLB has on this type of medical research and is even less knowledgeable in this regard IMO. Caution and common sense is what I would rely on if my DD was a pitcher.