Pick up Player Politics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2010
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to select softball. My daughter is 10. She started in June with a newly put together team. Coach talked about how this fall we would play 12u in anticipation of moving to 12u in the spring. Also said this is a building season to give the girls experience.

for the last 2 weeks in our select "league" my daughter has pitched very well. She is considered (rightfully so) the #2 pitcher on the team. Coach even stopped her to tell her she had done well. she's not overpowering, but hits her spots and lets the other 8 girls do their job.

So this weekend was our 2nd tournament. A one day 6 game round robin. Coach picked up 3 players because we were going to be short players. 2 of the pickups and our #1 pitcher pitched all 6 games. DD wasn't given the ball at all and alternated bench/CF. It was obvious from even before the tourney started that we weren't going to win. After the tourney, coach said he just wanted the girls to get experience. So, I'm wondering, how does that give my DD experience to not let her pitch even one game?

As an aside, my DD wasn't the only one who didn't get to play her normal position b/c of these girls. I don't think I'm being unreasonable, but the double talk from coach has me pissed. Is this normal in select softball?

Thanks - and sorry it's so long....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, I'm wondering, how does that give my DD experience to not let her pitch even one game?

It doesn't.

Is this normal in select softball?

Normal? No--"normal" means it happens on more than 50% of the teams.

Common? Yes--based upon my experience and with no scientific evidence, my guess is that about 25% of the coaches are like your coach.

Basically, the coach doesn't believe your DD can pitch against good teams. But, he believes your DD is OK against mediocre competition. He is probably trying to find another pitcher. He could tell you and your DD that--but, it might make you angry and you might leave the team. So, rather than simply be honest, he gives your DD a pat on the back, and blows smoke up your rear. I've been in softball for 30 years, and honestly, I can't count the number of times I've seen this happen.

What he should have done would have been to let your DD pitch and get knocked around. Your DD and you would realize that she needs to get better. No big deal--it is just part of the learning process. You try, you fail, you get up, dust yourself off and try again.

You should go talk to the coach and explain your concerns. He will likely say, "I had no choice. I needed the players, and that was the only way I could get them." There isn't anything you can do--basically, all you are doing is letting the coach know you are unhappy, and you will be even more unhappy if it happens again.

For future reference, it is pretty common to change travel teams. It is almost impossible for a newbie parent to pick the right travel team for his/her DD the first time out of the gate. So, live and learn.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
All too normal for some teams. Unheard of with others. Doesnt sound like select ball. Sounds like daddy-ball tournament team. If he didnt throw your DD at all that sends a message that his words dont. At that age if you want to win consistently , you must have an overpowering pitcher. The good teams will.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Keep taking pitching lessons and start taking hitting lessons, if you haven't already. If she can beat on the ball, teams will fight over her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I had another discussion with my DD’s, non-completive league, 10U manager this weekend.

Statistically my DD is our best pitcher, hardly every gets to pitch. Top 1/3 of our hitters, hit towards the bottom of our batting order all year. Defensively one of our best players, how the smallest kid on the Team always seems to play 1st is a different philosophical Issue. She probably sat on the bench more than any other kid this year. She also has a great attitude and listens very well to all the coaches and other players.

Certainly never got annoyed enough to quit the Team, all part of the learning process as far as I am concerned. Keep your head high and do your best even if things are not going your way.

Bottom line, we are looking for a new Team for the spring. We live in a large community so we are fortunate enough to have some choices and are voting with our feet. I feel sorry for the parents/ kids that do to have choices.

We just need to find the right match for us.

Jul 9, 2010
I have been guilty of over-playing guest players in the past, for two reasons: I wasn't paying enough attention, and I wanted to see how the new players did in a game situation to evaluate whether I wanted to ask them to join or not.

After being talked to by a parent like the OP after one of these instances, I starting really making it clear to guest players what their role would be, and limited them to that role.

So, either they messed up, or it was intentional. The only way to know is to ask, and give it another tourney or two to see how it plays out.

Oct 19, 2009
If I read correctly you played 6 games in one day and your dd didn't get so much as an inning. That's an outright slap in the face. I wouldn't give this coach a second chance.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I have in the past picked up 'guests' who could pitch.
I NEVER pitch them over the regulars. Sounds like the coach is
trying to send you a message, run fast and far to a team where DD
can get some innings in a 6-game stretch. If DD works hard and throws strikes
there will be a place for her. I have a very good pitcher who is coveted by teams for her arm,
but is weak offensively.

Good coaches will coach up a player's weakness to prepare them for the next level,
your coach has ulterior motives for your dd

sru

Jun 20, 2008
So the #1 pitcher threw all 6 games in one day??? Your Dd didn't get an inning??

If you have respect for the coach, I'd talk to him about your DD's playing time. If you don't, I'd start looking for another team where she will be playing more.

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of these issues may stem from a parents thoughts that playing outfield is somehow sub-par to infield, and that outfielders are somehow "lesser" players then infielders. A good parent/coach will do everything they can to kill that mentality immediately. Becoming a good outfielder is hard, takes a lot of practice and dedication, ect.

It may be a good idea for a girl who is still working on the pitching to learn how to be a great outfielder at the same time. It's very hard for a girl spending countless hours practicing pitching to compete with the other infielders who are spending countless hours taking groundballs. Sure, there are a lot of exceptions, but it's usually due to lack of a solid practice regimen by the other infielders then it is that so many teams have "wonderpets" for pitchers/infielders.

Show the young lady how many softball and baseball hero's play outfield and teach your teams that it's not second string.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55