Pick up Player Politics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2010
So the #1 pitcher threw all 6 games in one day??? Your Dd didn't get an inning??

If you have respect for the coach, I'd talk to him about your DD's playing time. If you don't, I'd start looking for another team where she will be playing more.

No, 2 of the 3 pick up players pitched 2 games each and our #1 pitched 2 games.

I do have respect for the coach, just will have to talk to him - is our plan to develop our team, or win by using other teams superstars. None of these pick ups have any intention of coming to our team.

We will also actively look for another team. Her hitting coach has been asking her to try out for his organization's team, so I know there are opportunities. I just hated to see the bewildered look on my kids face (and mine) as to why she didn't sniff the ball all day. Not doing much for her confidence which was soaring the last two weeks after great outings against very good teams.

Thanks everyone for your replies - this is a whole new world for us.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Your DD pitched well the past 2 weeks. What was the results of her games? I was just curious if the team won or lost. Perhaps the issue is in what is considered a good game. If the coach doesn't feel she will benefit the team when the competition increases, he may be looking to add other pitchers. Having never seen her pitch, there can only be speculation. I remember coaching a team where my #3 pitcher was just that, #3. I recieved countless calls and had numerous conversations about how she was going to someday throw in the olympics. I never could get her parents to accept the fact she was an outstanding player.....at 1b. In their eyes, she should have been pitching every big game we played. She eventually moved on. She was a great kid and a very average pitcher. Try and discuss her pitching time with her coach. Keep an open mind. You may hear his true intentions.

Feb 24, 2010
Definitely go talk with the coach - maybe there is something there that you don't know about, although it does sound like he's either trying to give you a hint, or is willing to win at all costs. Also, make sure that you know where the team and/or the organization stand on subs, and see if you can get it in writing and distributed to the entire team. This is nice to have so everyone knows how it is handled and there is no misinformation.

We were in the opposite situation - DD was the pickup player. We were told they needed to field a team for a weekend tournament, and that she'd most likely play OF since the infield and pitching was set. Well, she ended up pitching all but 3 innings in four 6 inning games. I was not too pleased since that's not what we were told, and it was obvious that they wanted to win at any cost. Needless to say, we won't answer that teams' emails/calls anymore.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
A lot of these issues may stem from a parents thoughts that playing outfield is somehow sub-par to infield, and that outfielders are somehow "lesser" players then infielders. A good parent/coach will do everything they can to kill that mentality immediately. Becoming a good outfielder is hard, takes a lot of practice and dedication, ect.

Show the young lady how many softball and baseball hero's play outfield and teach your teams that it's not second string.

-W

I'm having this conversation with my DD now. She's good at 3B, but is amazing at RF. I'm trying to get her to view RF as her primary position, but she still views herself as a 3B/OF, not OF/3B. As she gets older and OF becomes more involved (she's 12 YOA), I'm hoping she'll make the mental switch.

May 25, 2010
Playing 6 games in a day is crazy. Couldn't that be as much as 9 hours of softball in a single day?Pitching 2 full games in a day is crazy, unless we're talking about 18 one-pitch at-bats in a complete game.

If I'm the parent of a 10-11yo girl being used that much, the coach is definitely going to hear about it.

Jul 28, 2008
I messed up several years ago when picking up two players for guest play. A regular suffered play time because of it at the state tournament. Since then I have come up with a policy for guest play. I let the parents know up front at our parent meeting what my policy is. If I don't abide by it, then they are to hold me accountable.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm having this conversation with my DD now. She's good at 3B, but is amazing at RF. I'm trying to get her to view RF as her primary position, but she still views herself as a 3B/OF, not OF/3B. As she gets older and OF becomes more involved (she's 12 YOA), I'm hoping she'll make the mental switch.

My daughter decided at an early age she wanted to play outfield (RF). She saw a right fielder throw a base runner out at 1st, that hooked her. She has been traing specifically in RF for 4 years. Though she can play all outfiled spots, she calls RF home. When most kids were crying to be infield, she gladly went RF. By 10 or 11 she was very good at it, always moving and in the right spot.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
My daughter decided at an early age she wanted to play outfield (RF). She saw a right fielder throw a base runner out at 1st, that hooked her. She has been traing specifically in RF for 4 years. Though she can play all outfiled spots, she calls RF home. When most kids were crying to be infield, she gladly went RF. By 10 or 11 she was very good at it, always moving and in the right spot.

In many ways, RF is the most challenging position on the field other than pitcher and catcher. A good right fielder will need to play the game as a deep infielder who also needs to run down fly balls and back up 1B and sometimes 2B (throws from SS to 2B). After playing RF, my DD always complains that her legs hurt. I tell her it's a good hurt, and it means she played the position correctly. 3B is not nearly as physically demanding, which is why I think my DD prefers 3B. :D

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I'm an outfielder, right fielder most of the time! It's definitely demanding and I've played there since 10U. In the beginning, they were trying to hide me... then, as I got older, balls started getting hit there and I was sucking them up. We always had a fast pitcher and opponents would swing late, sending the ball into right field.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It doesn't just happen in softball. A few years ago, my son's select soccer team, which was newly forming, picked up a few kids someone knew for a trip to Florida. It was their first tournament, in December. I expected the guest players to be used as replacements/reserves, but instead they played nearly every minute. I was shocked. I couldn't see how the coach would learn anything about the players he would have for the spring by playing other kids. And it's not like they were winning with those other players either. Giving up part of my Christmas vacation, and paying to fly to Florida, to watch guest players play did not make me happy.

Fortunately that was the only time that happened. But in any situation it doesn't make sense. Guest players are there to round out the roster, not lead it. If the kids you have aren't good enough to play, cut them and find others. But don't screw your own players over because you want to win. If it's that important, trophies cost about $35 to $50 for a good size one. Buy one and save everyone else the aggravation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55