PGF tournament age rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Does anyone know the PGF age rule? I was thinking the "cutoff date" for age division was something other than January 1 of any given year. Thanks for the help.

Oct 27, 2017
"All age divisions must be no older than the PGF age for their respective divisions as of January 1, 2019. This information will be verified when purchasing PGF insurance or registering as a PGF team."

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
"All age divisions must be no older than the PGF age for their respective divisions as of January 1, 2019. This information will be verified when purchasing PGF insurance or registering as a PGF team."

Thanks for the info. I found the same on the PGF website but we are playing in a 12U PGF tournament this weekend and a friend on mine's daughter turned 13 earlier this year but they are saying she is not age eligible.

May 6, 2015
she should be eligible this fall for 12u, but keep in mind, many teams in the fall play the age group they will have to in the spring. is this a guest player, or was she on the team. if the latter, but the rest of the team is 2007 or 2008 (the girl mentioned must be a 2006, and will need to move to 14u in 2020), they may be gently trying to say, sorry, cant play for us anymore, we are staying at 12u in 2020.

Apr 20, 2015
Pgf like all alphabets encourages teams to move up in the fall. Some tournaments within pgf expressly force teams to do this. Some organizations routinely play their players down in the fall in an attempt to earn bids. This is frowned upon in the softball community and earns these teams a significant amount of ire among their peers. You get better by playing better and moving up in the fall goes along with with this thought

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2019
Individual tournaments may dictate 2020 age rules for fall. Especially qualifiers for 2020. Not likely for non-sanctioned or merely showcase events

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
she should be eligible this fall for 12u, but keep in mind, many teams in the fall play the age group they will have to in the spring. is this a guest player, or was she on the team. if the latter, but the rest of the team is 2007 or 2008 (the girl mentioned must be a 2006, and will need to move to 14u in 2020), they may be gently trying to say, sorry, cant play for us anymore, we are staying at 12u in 2020.
She is part of the team, and has been for over a year now. She is an 06 on a team mostly made up of 07's. There are 3 total 06's on the team and none are "allowed" to play this weekend. The official call hasn't been made what the team is going to do in Spring 2020 but the official call seems pretty obvious to me!

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Pgf like all alphabets encourages teams to move up in the fall. Some tournaments within pgf expressly force teams to do this. Some organizations routinely play their players down in the fall in an attempt to earn bids. This is frowned upon in the softball community and earns these teams a significant amount of ire among their peers. You get better by playing better and moving up in the fall goes along with with this thought

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Great point about some tournaments forcing teams up (I also agree that moving up in the Fall to prepare for Spring is the right thing to do). Is it possible for a tournament to implement their own birth date cutoff to force teams up?

Feb 17, 2014
It is weird the way it works, but what they are telling you is right. '06s are 14u now. If you want to keep them on your team, the team will have to move up to 14u.

The birth date doesn't matter, just the year.

For most sanctions, the season starts on September 1, but eligibility is based on birth year.

Jun 6, 2018
This is a growing debate as in recent years you see a lot of 16u-18u teams playing 14u-16u tournaments in the fall before moving up to their actual 16u-18u level. (A concept I have never used or supported as a coach! But I would support for college exposure tournaments at the 16u level. Meaning tournaments that have no bracket play for a prize type scenario.)

I know PGF/USA utilize the birth year but I thought USSSA was switching it to September 1 so this "playing down in the fall" approach would not be utilized?

Also, a number of the better PGF promoters are stepping up and utilizing a September 1 date in the fall to assure teams are not playing down.

Playing up is great and kudos to the coaches challenging their players but what is ruining the experience is the organizations playing down in the fall to win bids/cash/etc. that they can not utilize but then pass down within the organization to teams that don't actually earn them but then gives the appearance that they did and lets them attend national tournaments and keep the name out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish