PGF nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Right so my point is they are eliminating one rule to limit momentum (dragging)

why keep the other one (making a pitcher have hands in front of body for at least a full second)? Unless there is some other reason for that rule that I cannot think of.
Because that may be considered the beginning of the pitch?! AKA have to start somewhere?!

Jun 8, 2016
I thought the rule was an attempt to prevent quick pitching, but I could be wrong.
In that case just make them bring them together (which this kid does) rather than have the arbitrary 1 second in there.

Aug 15, 2021
In that case just make them bring them together (which this kid does) rather than have the arbitrary 1 second in there.
I agree with you. I feel this rule is inconsistently applied. Just like not dragging, it often gets called when an opposing coach starts complaining the blue when the the pitcher is being "too effective".

Jun 8, 2016
I agree with you. I feel this rule is inconsistently applied. Just like not dragging, it often gets called when an opposing coach starts complaining the blue when the the pitcher is being "too effective".
First pitcher in the highlights..

May 13, 2023
No pause could be utilizing energy from movement prior to the LEGAL pitch into the pitch sequence.

This is where batters asking the Umpire to hold time can be critically helpful!
( hold time= batter getting in the Box setting up)

Bonus, holding time, can throw off the pitchers Rhythm because they may be getting in a habit of no pause! Aka quick pitch.

Aug 15, 2021
First pitcher in the highlights..

If you told me the first pitcher in the video was called for an illegal pitch, I wouldn't be surprised because it looks like her hands are together at the start, separate and come back together. I have seen that call quite a few times. However, I don't see how there is an advantage gained from that.

Jun 8, 2016
If you told me the first pitcher in the video was called for an illegal pitch, I wouldn't be surprised because it looks like her hands are together at the start, separate and come back together. I have seen that call quite a few times. However, I don't see how there is an advantage gained from that.
That pitch wasn't called illegal (they didn't call one illegal pitch the whole TB season) but what they are saying in HS ball is that she doesn't have her hands together in front of her body for the requisite "around 1 second"..I agree though that if they are going to call an illegal pitch it is because of what you mentioned..

"Beginning of the pitch: USA Softball and NFHS: The pitch begins when, after the hands are put together, they are separated or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of their windup after the hands are together. The hands may not be put back together again or touch again during the delivery prior to the release. "

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I have noticed over the years there is a crowd out there who quietly roots against these top players in school ball. We had pitcher/catcher in same class who won two state titles basically on their own.

Yet I routinely heard other parents and opposing fans talk about they weren't really that good. Or couldn't believe they could play on the top TB team regionally.

Both went on to P5 schools and have had good success. The reason they are a top TB player and D1 recruit is because they can give a top team a chance to win. It isn't because they blow every hitter away or never make outs at the plate. Just because Sally got a bloop hit doesn't mean the girl can't work through an SEC lineup, as she has proved.
This is very true. My daughter has a target on her back in every HS game because she has a reputation as a top pitcher in the area. Everyone wants to get a hit against her, and when she does give up hits, it's usually of the dink and dunk variety. But those Dads will all walk away bragging that their daughter got a hit in the game. Good for you. It happens. No one is perfect all the time, especially at 16.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC