Perfect swing, JD Martinez

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I like the description with the "oblique contraction in sync with the hands" vs "front shoulder towards rear hip". I can really feel it when thinking about it this way, also believe it's the cause, while the other is the effect.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Pay attention to the pre-swing actions. Those actions allow one to get into a fyb hitting position dynamically.. I view it as a soft oblique contraction synced up with the hands. Coming out of these actions is what allows the other movements to happen naturally yet be reactive.

That's what Joey Myers says about the spinal engine, tilt the shoulders (downwards) and what follows is shoulder/spine rotation. If you have spinal flexion/extension and tilt/bend downwards then rotation follows as a third movement automatically/natural.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like the description with the "oblique contraction in sync with the hands" vs "front shoulder towards rear hip". I can really feel it when thinking about it this way, also believe it's the cause, while the other is the effect.

To be correct, the tilt/bend downwards is/can be a separate action then front shoulder to back hip. The front shoulder to back hip is part of the showing the numbers. Just like hiding the hands is part of the back shoulder to front hip lengthening. They are often combined, showing the numbers and hiding the hands and downward tilt. Although like the clip shows of the load, the tilt/downwards action can be a separate action.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Pay attention to the pre-swing actions. Those actions allow one to get into a fyb hitting position dynamically.. I view it as a soft oblique contraction synced up with the hands. Coming out of these actions is what allows the other movements to happen naturally yet be reactive.

7gOCRnJ.gif

Nice gif. So true. Get this right. And then it’s about adjustments with ‘educated’ ‘free’ hands.

Notice the back toes in the air?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Head movement before toe touch/heel plant is Ok. You don't want head movement after foot plant.

Well said.

I have said in other post that I believe JD's swing should be the model especially for bigger framed hitters. Very efficient. No wasted movement. He does not TTB as aggressively as some would like so he doesn't get the early bat speed (running start) but he obviously doesn't need to.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

7gOCRnJ.gif

Good clip.

There is a fair amount taking place here.

For example, it should help folks see why a high front leg lift works as a drill for many hitters. They get to learn how the lead shoulder is drawn down as the lead flank lifts the front hip, while the front hip is lifting the front leg. Pretty basic stuff ... but kids need to get a feel of it somehow if they are going to incorporate it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Head movement before toe touch/heel plant is Ok. You don't want head movement after foot plant.

Well said.

I have said in other post that I believe JD's swing should be the model especially for bigger framed hitters. Very efficient. No wasted movement. He does not TTB as aggressively as some would like so he doesn't get the early bat speed (running start) but he obviously doesn't need to.

I think our definitions of ‘running start’ may differ. I believe the running start is predicated on getting the mass forward, loaded and repositioned without giving up the backside load (forward yet back). In a sense cheating fast ball and able to wait offspeed.

Early bat speed seems like a bad thing imo. I would want the fastest bat speed into the ball, not at commitment from the top. Or ‘rearward’. That would be an HI thing I think...

I prefer ‘late’ bat speed or ‘closer to the hitting zone’ bat speed. Harder to check a swing or not swing at junk if your all in at GO.

Oomv. Just how I perceive the terms ‘running start’ and ‘bat speed’. :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Same basic core movements but no stride is toned down.

3bzeDCW.gif

7gOCRnJ.gif

In Lame-mans terms. I see the mass get forward immediately with the slack taken out, setting the stage. I call it ‘forward by gather’. I KNOW IM IN THE MINORITY ON THIS ONE. Lol. Most would call it ‘ forward by coil’. But when I teach it, the negative move is what gets my kids to these positions hence ‘forward by gather’...

I teach this to be a reactive move which in turn makes the stride reactive hence no ‘reaching’ to step on ice and become unbalanced. Most pro hitters I look at will make these same moves but with their own style/athleticism attached to it.

When first teaching these movements I will have a hitter ‘no stride’ to feel the movements and stretches better. Halfway through I’ll let them stride so they can make it more game like and they can find their true timing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish