People are driving the distance to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
From Colorado. We have been to WY (5 hrs away), OKC (10hrs) and KC (8.5 hrs). This weekend we finally have a local tourney. Will be so nice to play local. The state is just starting to open up with some areas still making lots of modifications to dugout rules and spectators. The tourney we are in this weekend has no modifications. Hard to keep up. KC bleachers were removed at some fields, taped off at others, OKC bleachers had every other row taped off, WY spectators watched from the OF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
In GA. Have been playing two weeks (officially). First weekend tourney was 3 1/2 hours away. First tournament they were super strict about distancing, no bleachers allowed, ball cleaned religiously and no mixing your team's ball with the other team's. Only one field was allowed to be used per quad so there were no more than 50 people or so total per area.

This past weekend, we were within 20 minutes of home. And it was business as usual except for the bleachers being basically empty. There were signs but the bleachers weren't taped off. Balls weren't cleaned, dugouts got a quick once over as the team exited, and parents were left to decide how close they wanted to sit. I was surprised to see things nearly normal considering the weekend before. We play again this weekend, same governing body as the first weekend. But in a different city. So we shall see.

BUT we do have kids on the team from 5 states. So if you asked the same questions about travel time, you would get widely varying answers. We are playing relatively "local" for where we are based.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Off this week; travelled and played the last 4 weeks in Clermont (Orlando) & Newberry (Gainsville) all in Central/North Florida.

South Florida teams are starting to scrimmage as the fields have slowly opened; no tournaments let so everyone who wants to play have been going to these which are 3-5 hours away.

Mar 26, 2016
We've played in Oklahoma 2xs (12 hr drive), and Missouri 2xs (6-8 hr drive) thus far. This is our first weekend off in a month. I'm just happy to be still working from home to make those drives happen.

Mar 6, 2016
I guess unless I live where many of you live, Ill never understand why you have to travel SO FAR to get some games or a tourny. It blows my mind.

If we have to drive more than 2 hours to a tournamnet its considered a long haul and hotels for everyone. Lol 😀

I'm in So Cal in between LA and SD and could play 10 different leagues and 50 TB teams within 30 mintutes of each other.

Is it the lack of good competition or population and towns just not enough girls play?

Is it the same for every sport for the girls?

Are there local Rec leagues at all or is everything TB due to just lack of enough girls playing in your towns?

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I guess unless I live where many of you live, Ill never understand why you have to travel SO FAR to get some games or a tourny. It blows my mind.

If we have to drive more than 2 hours to a tournamnet its considered a long haul and hotels for everyone. Lol 😀

I'm in So Cal in between LA and SD and could play 10 different leagues and 50 TB teams within 30 mintutes of each other.

Is it the lack of good competition or population and towns just not enough girls play?

Is it the same for every sport for the girls?

Are there local Rec leagues at all or is everything TB due to just lack of enough girls playing in your towns?

As for So Cal right now not letting tournaments happen in the OC ie, or L.A. so people are driving to Nor Cal and ARIZONA.

True usually So Cal has many tournys and events. Yet the travel bug bites...
Eventually many people look forward to traveling out of state. There are lots of reasons.
Here is a good one.
The top tier teams get a better chance to play other top tier teams by traveling to play eachother.
Last weekend a top 18u team
So Cal Athletics Richardson18u drove up to Nor Cal to play.
( about 5/6 hour drive)
This weekend
Corona Angels Tyson took the drive. 18u

:) usually driving in Calif means spend 3x the amount of time vs. distance to get there....than many other areas
In calif 15 miles = 45 minute drive.
With more traffic 80 miles takes 3 hours both ways.....
That may seem silly in another state...
Ohhh its sounds silly in this state ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish