Are club teams required to play in a league in your area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
In Minnesota, if you want to play in the ASA state tournament qualifier or the state tournament itself, or if you want to play any type of ASA national tournament, you must play a minimum of 6 league games during the season. When we lived in Ohio, league games were for rec teams or very low level travel ball teams, so this concept of basically requiring ALL club teams to play in a league was very foreign to us when we moved to this area. I have to say that South Dakota has a similar rule. So I'm wondering if perhaps this is just a midwest thing or maybe it is more widespread than I realize. If you could respond with your state and whether club teams are required to play in a league I would appreciate it. I don't need more than one response per state. Thanks!!
IMO, the capital "L" in the MMFL eligibility requirement is specifically referring to themselves rather than a MMFL-affiliated league. I suspect this requirement could be fulfilled via other MMFL events and/or arranging games against other MMFL travel teams.

8.03 TEAM ELIGIBILITY

A. Any team wishing to participate in a MMFL State Tournament must participate in six (6) League games. Or follow the league rules that your team participates in.

B. Any team wishing to participate in a National Tournament must participate in six (6) League games, and League Tournament, and a State Tournament.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There was one of the big programs that used to force their travel players to play in their rec league. They could get away with it because there were limited options on national level programs in the area so as an org they had the leverage to do so.

That time has long since past. No one does it anymore.

Rec is in a lot of trouble. I am not sure where the next generation of 8U/10U girls is going to come from for a lot of programs.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
With PGF, Triple Crown, JO Cup, and USA Elite scooping up a lot of teams for Nationals, the stranglehold ASA has had on the softball community is disappearing. I do not think we played a single ASA event last season....and did not miss it!

Sep 18, 2011
With PGF, Triple Crown, JO Cup, and USA Elite scooping up a lot of teams for Nationals, the stranglehold ASA has had on the softball community is disappearing. I do not think we played a single ASA event last season....and did not miss it!

Is there a league requirement in Georgia?? For teams who want to play ASA nationals??

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is there a league requirement in Georgia?? For teams who want to play ASA nationals??

No league requirements I am aware of. All you have to do is register and play in a qualifier and earn a berth. The local ASA directory wants all of the teams going to ASA Nationals to play in the ASA State, but exceptions have been made in the past.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
No league requirements I am aware of. All you have to do is register and play in a qualifier and earn a berth. The local ASA directory wants all of the teams going to ASA Nationals to play in the ASA State, but exceptions have been made in the past.

What JAD said goes for Texas too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00