Paying for tournament play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2013
We are currently looking at restructing our team and plan to initiate new terms in January. Currently we paid a set amount at the beginning of the year and have been getting sponsors and doing fundraisers to pay for our tournaments. We are now thinking we should get the girls to pay a smaller fee at the beginning of the year and then have them pay per tournament. Fundraising would still be used for other expenses, equipment etc. Can someone give me some info on how your travel ball team raises the money for tournament play???

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We include tournament fees in our budget and divide the total budget by the number of players. Covering your tournament expenses becomes even more important when you start playing showcases as the entry fees are 2-4X a regular tournament.

Over the years we have moved towards individual fundraising vs. team fundraisers. We have a percentage of parents who would rather just "write a check" vs. sending their DD door-to-door in the neighborhood selling something. We have also found that the 80/20 rule applies to fundraising - 20% of the people do the work and 80% do nothing.

Nov 29, 2009
Figure out the projected equipment, training facilities and tournament costs for the year. Figure out your fundraiser(s). Get an upfront deposit and make monthly payments that have to be fully paid BEFORE the start of the summer season. Now you know you have the money to send in for tournaments well in advance and all the other costs are taken care of before the team starts playing in earnest. Sponsor money collected goes 100% towards the player who collected it.

You have to run a team like a business. Anything else allows for too much fluctuation in the process and makes it too easy for players to jump teams.

Jun 1, 2013
Check out Quartershare dot com. We had good success selling their Beef Jerky sticks. With Michelle O's starvation diet at school, dd would sell to all the hungry kids after lunch. Gluten free I believe.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Put together a letter asking for sponsorship and ask each girl to take it to 1 or 2 business that they think may sponsor the team. I believe most fast food restaurants are more then willing to do this to promote that they are supporting youth activities in the community. Or if they have friend's parents that own businesses, etc. It doesn't need to be a lot, but every bit helps.

Make sure if they do sponsor you, to send them a very nice thank you card and a picture of the team.

Jul 2, 2013
As a parent, I purposely pay as I go. I listen to the fee schedule, and pay enough so we both know I am not behind on the fees.

I have never paid the complete fee up front. Too many small experiences of "dipping" by people. Not saying exactly that unscrupulous people are out there, but have experienced enough question marks in my mind.

Like some players can't afford, or do not pay. Hold your own players money back. Pay enough to get started, pay every couple of tournaments so YOU know you are good, and ahead of schedule. Does not matter what the org., team wants, it is what they get, from me. I am good for my $$$, and always ahead of a logical pay schedule.

Have never had a problem with any organization, ever, and played for a bunch.

In fact, most all org. people like how I do things. Come to appreciate it after a level of trust is built up. Folks would be surprised how many players cannot afford to play travel ball. Get by, or try to get by, with not paying.

I feel sorry for them. At the same time, I am not going to personally fill the team coffers, instead prefer the team chiefs work it out, knowing, and getting, what I owe them when the $$$ is needed.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
As a parent, I purposely pay as I go. I listen to the fee schedule, and pay enough so we both know I am not behind on the fees.

I have never paid the complete fee up front. Too many small experiences of "dipping" by people. Not saying exactly that unscrupulous people are out there, but have experienced enough question marks in my mind.

Like some players can't afford, or do not pay. Hold your own players money back. Pay enough to get started, pay every couple of tournaments so YOU know you are good, and ahead of schedule. Does not matter what the org., team wants, it is what they get, from me. I am good for my $$$, and always ahead of a logical pay schedule.

In fact, most all org. people like how I do things. Come to appreciate it after a level of trust is built up. Folks would be surprised how many players cannot afford to play travel ball. Get by, or try to get by, with not paying.

I feel sorry for them. At the same time, I am not going to personally fill the team coffers, instead prefer the team chiefs work it out, knowing, and getting, what I owe them when the $$$ is needed.

Where most single team, start-up and small organizations get into trouble is from lack of planning for the costs. Where I'm coaching at they give the families a set amount for the season and a payment plan. All of the families know exactly what they are paying upfront and what they get for it. They do not go back to them asking for more money.

If a player's fees are not current the player is suspended from any team activities until they become current or work something out with the organization. Thankfully, I handle none of the money for the team. It's handled by a treasurer. They make the suspension calls. Not me.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

Maybe it works like that where you are... wouldn't fly with me. I have an open book and anyone can see it anytime. But if all the parents acted the way you do.. we probably wouldn't be able to play in any tournaments because they fill up pretty quick. You don't have your $ in you can't get in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish