Passing a runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
The standard runner identification terminology in SOFTBALL is to identify the runners with the lower numbers being the runners that are closer to home. With the bases loaded, that would be R1 on third, R2 on second, and R3 on first.
Another way of looking at it is they're numbered in the sequence they reached base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ken, I prefer that method. That way if I say R2 and R3, everyone would know runners on 2nd & 3rd. However, softball peeps don't like that.

It's not totally a softball thing. There are some softball rule books that use R1 for a runner on first base, R2 for a runner on second, R3 for a runner on third.

There are even some baseball rule books that do it "the softball way" and number the runners in the order they reached base.

But, it is definitely an NFHS thing. They number their runners with R1 being the first to reach base (and, thus, the furthest advanced runner), then R2 next, then R3 next.

Mar 26, 2013
This poses an interesting question. Is this considered a timing play?
I wondered the same thing. NFHS rule 8-6-4 (2011) indicates it is.

ART. 4 . . . The runner physically passes a preceding runner before that runner has been put out. If this was the third out of the inning, any runs scoring prior to the out for passing a preceding runner would count. A runner(s) passing a preceding obstructed runner, as in 8-4-3b Penalty c, is not out.

I'd like clarification/confirmation about timing plays while the ball is dead and runners are advancing on awarded bases.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Another way of looking at it is they're numbered in the sequence they reached base.

I always thought it was numbered in the order that they appeared at-bat in the inning. Thus, if the bases are loaded and there are two outs, you could have R2 on 3B, R4 on 2B, R5 on 1B, and B6 batting, and this would tell you that B1 and B3 are the 2 outs.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I wondered the same thing. NFHS rule 8-6-4 (2011) indicates it is.

ART. 4 . . . The runner physically passes a preceding runner before that runner has been put out. If this was the third out of the inning, any runs scoring prior to the out for passing a preceding runner would count. A runner(s) passing a preceding obstructed runner, as in 8-4-3b Penalty c, is not out.

I'd like clarification/confirmation about timing plays while the ball is dead and runners are advancing on awarded bases.

Same rule applies while the ball is dead. Treat it as a timing play.

I can't find any NFHS interpretations for this play. But the ASA rule is the same and there is an ASA case play that covers this. The case play directs the umpire to treat it as a timing play.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Saw this happen in a college game a couple of years ago. Bases loaded, batter hits a high lazy fly ball to LF. Runners get ready to tag. Wind carries the ball just over the LF fence for a grand slam, except the batter rounded 1B while the runner was waiting to tag. Umpire called her out and turned her grand slam into a 3 run HR. Would have been interesting to see what the call would have been if there were two outs and the batter passed the runner on 1B before the ball landed. Would no runs score or still a 3-run HR?

Oct 24, 2010
Same rule applies while the ball is dead. Treat it as a timing play.

I can't find any NFHS interpretations for this play. But the ASA rule is the same and there is an ASA case play that covers this. The case play directs the umpire to treat it as a timing play.

I also can't find a NFHS interpretation for this play, however, consider the case play (8-1-1F) where a runner overruns a base on a bases loaded walk and then gets tagged out for the 3rd out before R1 touches home. NFHS considers the bases to be awarded, thus, the run scores. Might NFHS consider three runs to score in the home-run scenario?

I agree that this is a straight-up timing play in ASA.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd