Passing a runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Rules: NFHS

Situation: Bases load, 1 out. Batter hits a HR over the fence. BR passes R4 after the ball goes over the fence and then lets R3 get back ahead of her.

How is this handled? Is it a dead ball or an appeal play?

Umpires let it play out and then called the batter out after the defensive coach came out to question it.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Rules: NFHS

Situation: Bases load, 1 out. Batter hits a HR over the fence. BR passes R4 after the ball goes over the fence and then lets R3 get back ahead of her.

How is this handled? Is it a dead ball or an appeal play?

Umpires let it play out and then called the batter out after the defensive coach came out to question it.

It's already a dead ball since the HR went over the fence. No appeal is necessary. The umpire should call this when he sees it.

As soon as the batter-runner passes R3, the batter-runner is out. Umpire can point at the infraction and announce. "That's passing", and signal the out.

End result: Three runs score on the HR and there are now two outs.

Apr 23, 2012
Ball remains live when a runner passes another runner, if this is the 3rd out then only the runs that have scored before the infraction will count.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Curious as to how in the world the BR could have passed R3, which would be the runner who started on third. How slow could she have been going? the BR would've passed two others to get there too.

Or by R3 do you mean the runner on first? Still, how slow could that runner be? Did the BR know it went over the fence? She should've been doing a home run trot and enjoying the moment!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Curious as to how in the world the BR could have passed R3, which would be the runner who started on third. How slow could she have been going? the BR would've passed two others to get there too.

Or by R3 do you mean the runner on first? Still, how slow could that runner be? Did the BR know it went over the fence? She should've been doing a home run trot and enjoying the moment!

The standard runner identification terminology in SOFTBALL is to identify the runners with the lower numbers being the runners that are closer to home. With the bases loaded, that would be R1 on third, R2 on second, and R3 on first.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The first post actually says the the batter-runner passed R4. Now that's a pretty neat trick! I assume that was a typo.

If the ball is currently live, then it stays live on a passing violation. But as I noted in my other post, the ball was already dead on the over the fence home run.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W

Ken, I prefer that method. That way if I say R2 and R3, everyone would know runners on 2nd & 3rd. However, softball peeps don't like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish