Parent Needs Advice From Coaches On Something

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
I'm seeking advice on how best to address something that occurred this past weekend during Sunday games. DD was not on roster to play defense/offense or DP. First game there were no substitutions. Second game we ( DW and I, and some other parents ) thought the other three players would see playing time. Positions didn't change for the championship game in the gold bracket. One of the three girls did play as DP the whole game while my DD went in as courtesy runner for the pitcher--wise move since DD is fastest runner on team and pitcher is slowest. Tough defensive game. Runs are hard to come by, so maybe the coach intentionally left DD on the bench to run for pitcher. She was one of 3 runs. We battled into the 8th inning and lost 5-3. One of the best softball games I ever watched.

My question is this. How do we address the coach about why DD wasn't in the game other than courtesy runner for pitcher? I asked DD what she thought of not playing Sunday and she wasn't happy understandably. Should I ask, or should DD ask her coach? I'm thinking she should. Something along the line, "what can I do so I can play on Sunday"? Or, "is there something I'm not doing well I could work on so I can play on Sunday"?

Saturday, she struck out once in 6 at bats. Hit five times and got on base twice which resulted in a run each time. Had a couple of huge hits, but some weak ones too. She plays outfield, mostly right but sometimes center. Pretty good at tracking fly balls. Good attitude and supportive of her teammates. I photograph the games and am in close proximity to the dugout, so I see and hear stuff.

After the tournament was over I do what I always do, thank the coaches and congratulate any girl that is near me.

The sadder part of this is the 12 girl. She sat out the first game. Sat almost the entire game and was substituted in for an at bat and struck out watching the ball. Not a very good hitter to begin with, but I think the coach wanted to give her a chance to participate in the game.

I appreciate any advice, and I'm willing to answer any questions. I don't want to come across and one of the crazy parents :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What age? Unless 10U or younger, playing time questions should be addressed by player and coach, not parents.

Having DD approach HC about what she can do to earn PT on Sunday shoulds like a sound way to go about it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You say that she hit 5 times, struck out once and got on base twice. So, actually she was 2 for 6. Depending again on the age group, that might not be good enough to see playing time on Sunday. Does she have a hitting coach? If not, that is where I would start. If she can hit a few triples and home runs, she will find playing time.

Jun 21, 2010
14U.

She hit a line drive to pitcher, and was thrown out twice. She has a hitting coach but hasn't been going to him since started tournament play. This was our first trophy tournament.

triples and HR are rare on this team. Might have seen one triple this season. No homers ever.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Saturday is for playing time, Sunday for championships. Sounds like the coach did exactly that. Plenty of AB's on Saturday. That is how quality teams operate. Work harder and earn a spot in the top 9. Explain to your DD that she will need to get better and earn a spot if she wants to be out there on Sunday. Good Luck

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What age? Unless 10U or younger, playing time questions should be addressed by player and coach, not parents.

Having DD approach HC about what she can do to earn PT on Sunday shoulds like a sound way to go about it.

This, and I would add the question what level of play? If it's an A Team trying to bid for Nationals, then the best 9 play, period. If it's a B team, then all players should play IMO. I mean they all made the team right? If they were good enough to make the team, they should be good enough to play.

I suggest telling your DD to make the most of her time playing. Don't give the coaches any choices, be that good.

Jun 21, 2010
This should be an A team by the rules, but they are playing B. This tournament and many others aren't split by A or B, until we get to state. Regionals there are two different tournament locations for A and B. By the rules I mean the amount of returning players, but they haven't been told to play A yet. I don't think this is a trophy hunting team. Our first tournament we lost 4 and won 2. Second one we won all 6 games.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is why I like 11 dedicated players. That was always the magic number for us to keep all happy. 12 or more and it was too hard to keep a rotation.

Feb 3, 2011
If she's your teams fastest player and makes contact with the ball, it's possible she's not being used effectively. How's her arm strength from the outfield? Does she know where she's going with the ball once she fields it? Even if there are 9 girls on her team who are clearly better hitters, I'd have to think her speed would be an asset in the outfield, such that she'd at least see some action at the flex, except that the coach obviously wants to have her available as a CR.

Jun 21, 2010
More and more I'm beginning to think she was chosen to be CR for pitcher. I don't understand the DP/Flex choice since the Flex is a good hitter and can hit from either sides of the plate; ie. slaps, drag bunts left side, bunts and hits well from right, and is a fast runner.

DD's arm is very strong and has been mentioned to me by the coach. As for knowing what to do with the ball once she has it, that idea has been etched in her brain back when she played 8U. Coach has her confused lately because he almost always wants the outfield to throw to the cut, but on two occasions she could have thrown it home to either get a tag at the plate, or send the runner back to 3. I asked the coach about this and he said he prefers the throw be made to the cuts ( even told the girls yesterday that very thing ), but admitted they need to work on the situation for girls that have strong arms.

This a new team for DD. She played for them this past fall. first year 14U team. DD played up last year on a 14U A team. They were actually a very good B team, but had to play A for rule reasons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA