Parent Needs Advice From Coaches On Something

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

At 14U 2 for 6 on Saturday is going to put you at average, speed sounds good so she gets time in the OF and CR so it sounds like unless she can improve at the plate she is probably going to stay about where she is at.

At 14U I would definitely have her approach the coach and ask "what do I need to do to get better so I can play more on Sundays?"

Apr 11, 2012
I'm not sure about business in NoCal, but over the age of 11 all handeling that situation by themselves?....maybe 15 YO's....but if you hand that team's coach a single dollar, you should have the right to speak with the HC about a players status on the depth chart and why?.... in a civil tone and a private setting of course....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm not sure about business in NoCal, but over the age of 11 all handeling that situation by themselves?....maybe 15 YO's....but if you hand that team's coach a single dollar, you should have the right to speak with the HC about a players status on the depth chart and why?.... in a civil tone and a private setting of course....

I don't know, by middle school if our kids were having a problem in school with a subject we made sure it was THIER responsibility to talk to their teacher about how they could improve their grade. Now I suppose if that didn't work our next step would be to request a confence with the teach (so I could see an analogous situation with the coach if things don't improve after daughter talks to coach) but at some point you have to let your kids learn to talk for themselves. I guess it is just a question of when that should be.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
More and more I'm beginning to think she was chosen to be CR for pitcher. I don't understand the DP/Flex choice since the Flex is a good hitter and can hit from either sides of the plate; ie. slaps, drag bunts left side, bunts and hits well from right, and is a fast runner.

DD's arm is very strong and has been mentioned to me by the coach. As for knowing what to do with the ball once she has it, that idea has been etched in her brain back when she played 8U. Coach has her confused lately because he almost always wants the outfield to throw to the cut, but on two occasions she could have thrown it home to either get a tag at the plate, or send the runner back to 3. I asked the coach about this and he said he prefers the throw be made to the cuts ( even told the girls yesterday that very thing ), but admitted they need to work on the situation for girls that have strong arms.

This a new team for DD. She played for them this past fall. first year 14U team. DD played up last year on a 14U A team. They were actually a very good B team, but had to play A for rule reasons.

Sounds like the coach needs a coach... hahaha at 14U on routine balls hit to the outfield they should be able to throw to the bases. Heck the only time a cut should be used are those balls hit in the gap and past them or maybe throwing home if the throw is off.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Gotta go with Joe on this...Saturday is when you rotate players. Sunday, a coach goes with who he believes gives her/him the best chance to win. If your team plays friendlies during the week, then you should expect your DD to play more during those games.

I asked DD what she thought of not playing Sunday and she wasn't happy understandably.

Good. She shouldn't be happy.

The bottom line is that she has to play better than the other players on the team. For a position player, that usually means more batting practice.

You said your DD is the fastest player on the team...sounds like it is time to teach her slapping, drag bunting and base stealing.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Welcome to travel ball. Not very decision makes sense, is backed by stats, or will change. I am trying to remember I can only change my attitude-cheer for the team, be supportive when my DD gets to play, and not keep mental stats.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Welcome to travel ball. I watched three kids spend the majority of The weekend on the bench and was quietly grateful DD has exited the early season slump. Yes the same three that rode the pine the week before. I can only imagine what those 2 hour rides home are like.

Since your DD got what sounds like at least two full games on Saturday she probably isn't far from breaking into Sunday. Bank one more hit and she might be there or make sure her at bats are quality, going deep into the count, fighting off close pitches, etc.

Best of luck to her. From experience I know it's tuff to watch them and there is little you can do.

Jun 21, 2010
Looking over her stats she does better on Sundays lol. Two weeks ago 4 for 6. 1 SO and big hit to center caught. Three weeks ago 1 SO, two walks, fly ball out, 2 singles with two steals of second. Run scored on one and stranded on 3 for the other. I guess we better work on Saturdays.

Coach does have her work on drag bunts and slapping. Drag bunts are coming along pretty good, but the slapping is tough. He is also bringing her in for infield work at SS. Says she has the skills for it. We'll see when he puts her there for a game.

Jun 21, 2010
Sounds like the coach needs a coach... hahaha at 14U on routine balls hit to the outfield they should be able to throw to the bases. Heck the only time a cut should be used are those balls hit in the gap and past them or maybe throwing home if the throw is off.

Saturday she was in CF and threw to 3B and got the lead runner and 3rd out--not sure where her cut was. The two times I mentioned she was near the grass edge and threw to the cut, but was close enough to make the throw to home. It's what she is told to do and she does it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One thing I look at are not just hits, but timely hits. A girl could go 6-6 and never score, never RBI. Another girl could go 3-6 but hit when needed and drive in runs. ( clutch hitter )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321