Parent files bullying report against Texas high school coach after 91-0 rout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Filing a report of bullying for a football game is ridiculous. Worse, it minimizes a very real problem in our schools.

In reading the article it sounds like the coach made an effort to control the score. If he hadn't it could've been a lot worse. When backup players get the chance to play they're not going to hold back. They want to show the coach what they can do so maybe they get a chance to play in another game when it's meaningful.

As for holding down the score, I remember my son Eric playing soccer in high school against a terrible team. By the second half, his team was instructed to just play keepaway to work on their ball handling skills. No scoring attempts. It was incredibly boring, and the other team seemed more disheartened by that then the scoring.

Whenever the teams are unevenly matched there's no good solution. You do what you can.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would be embarrassed to be the son of the man, that filed that law suit. He needs to spend his money on helping the team, not frivolous law suits.

Jun 24, 2013
If he kept the 1st stringers in longer than he needed to, then that = douchebag coach. If he put in his 2nd and 3rd stringers in, then that = excellent coach. I would not tell my 2nd and 3rd stringers who get limited playing time not to score or try hard. They live for these moments and they often get very few of them. I would let the bench warmers go out there and make as many mistakes as possible and not berate them for making the mistakes so they could learn from them in a relaxed situation. I have a newphew is in the opposite situation. He is on the team with the 0 on their side of the scoreboard. He is 2nd 3rd string. He gets very limited playing time and if he makes a mistake, he gets even less. Nevermind the starters ain't doing much better............

Man if he was able to get into one of these lopsided affairs in his favor, he would be able to really enjoy it.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Regardless of what string players the coach used at any point in the game, the filing of civil charges is a sad function of how our society has deteriorated over time. The everyone is equal mentality just doesn't work. Everyone is not equal and the sooner that is realized the sooner we can start to recover. This applies to softball too!

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
The winning coach only played his starters for 21 snaps. The moved to nothing but a running game, the clock ran without interruption the 2nd half. He said he spent most of the game trying to come up with other ways to not score. The opposing coach has no issue with how the winning coach played this game. Sometimes, life sucks. Winning by huge margins isn't fun for either team.

The football team at my DD school had not won a game in 24 attempts. They finally won their first game of the season (their homecoming game) by 30-16. That was a fun game for both sides, very intense. They lost the next 4 games. Finally won their 2nd game of the season 37-7 against a much weaker team. You could see the lack of energy in our team in the second half, there was nothing to get fired up about. The players said afterwards that it wasn't any fun for them, even though it was only the 2nd game they had won in 2 years.

Jul 26, 2010
It's still a free country on two accounts. Any idiot can sue, and any moron can breed. Other than that, you're pretty screwed.

-W

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If our little subset of Society is any indication, we may be OK. Seems the vast majority view this as what it is, some whiny little idjit taking advantage of a perhaps myopic but well-intentioned rule.

Society might have gone to Hell just recently, but there have been dipsh1itz since the first band of hunter/gatherers came together to track game.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
So just ran across this about Coach Heisman nearly a century ago. This is college so a little different but still a very lopsided game. "In a game played in Atlanta in 1916, Heisman's Georgia Tech squad defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs, 222–0, in the most one-sided college football game ever played." Story says he did it because the Bulldogs baseball team ran up the score 22 - 0 earlier. Just wonder how bad a coach people would say he is today.

Mike S.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
So just ran across this about Coach Heisman nearly a century ago. This is college so a little different but still a very lopsided game. "In a game played in Atlanta in 1916, Heisman's Georgia Tech squad defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs, 222–0, in the most one-sided college football game ever played." Story says he did it because the Bulldogs baseball team ran up the score 22 - 0 earlier. Just wonder how bad a coach people would say he is today.

Mike S.

WOW crazy score. That had to be the longest game for the bulldogs!! LMAO!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand