Parent files bullying report against Texas high school coach after 91-0 rout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So just ran across this about Coach Heisman nearly a century ago. This is college so a little different but still a very lopsided game. "In a game played in Atlanta in 1916, Heisman's Georgia Tech squad defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs, 222–0, in the most one-sided college football game ever played." Story says he did it because the Bulldogs baseball team ran up the score 22 - 0 earlier. Just wonder how bad a coach people would say he is today.

Mike S.

nice write up on wiki

1916 Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech football game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do seem to recall that sometime in the 2nd half they instituted a running clock similar to this high school game though I didn't see it in the wiki write up.

Jun 11, 2011
Our team played in a tournament a couple weekends ago and lost 3 games, which we were not prepared for, for a total score of 41 to 2. Not once did a coach intentionally get an out to end an inning. After every game I congratulated the other coach on his great job in getting his team ready and for showing us what we needed to work on and showing the kids that they needed to take it a little more serious and put forth a little more effort to be as good as their team was. No use in sugar coating it or getting upset at the opposing coach, he or she, is just doing their job. We had our first practice last weekend and the only thing the Head coach mentioned was that now we know what we need to work on and my only comment was that I'm not real fond of losing but I do not accept giving up. Enough said .....

Jul 28, 2008
I think we need to pull together a candlelight vigil and get a heard of counselors
on-site to start the healing process now. We then need to ban that coach’s whistle because that tool of mass destruction cannot be allowed in anyone else’s hands across this nation. Then we need to write an impassioned plea to our president to implement a wonderfully designed hs competition website so that ONLY similar-capability teams can be scheduled with each other so this “bullying” can be mandated out of our lives and we can realize the panacea of forced equality. Of course we need national sensitivity training for all sports coaches immediately. This could start with a million-parent march to Washington.

We NEED to do this because “We the people” cannot figure out how to implement Right & Wrong into our lives and instill this into our offspring.

I wanna get going with this plan right away - Who’s with me?!?!

Que up the Coca Cola song.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I remember when my dd was 9 our 10u team could hit the ball but we had a hard time pitching. A team we played in a tourney put up something like 14 runs on us in the first inning and then they started stepping off of bases to get outs. Then we got to hit and scored something like 9 in the first and their coach got mad at me because we were scoring on him, when he had decided to stop scoring on us.

As it turned out we lost that game, but it turned out pretty darn close.

Jun 24, 2013
So just ran across this about Coach Heisman nearly a century ago. This is college so a little different but still a very lopsided game. "In a game played in Atlanta in 1916, Heisman's Georgia Tech squad defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs, 222–0, in the most one-sided college football game ever played." Story says he did it because the Bulldogs baseball team ran up the score 22 - 0 earlier. Just wonder how bad a coach people would say he is today.

Mike S.

I knew about this game because of a book I got when i was a kid. It mentioned this game and told more details about it. The biggest "gain" for Cumberland was a 4 yard loss. On one fumble the QB yelled at another player "Pick it up!" the player yelled back "No you pick it up!"

Of course if you read the article this was not even really a football team, just 14 guys put together to ensure the college would not have to pay the penalty fee for cancelling the game. So it appears worse than it was. The people "playing" for Cumberland had no motivation to act like a football team as their football program had been discontinued before the season. So this becomes a distracter.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Just wonder how bad a coach people would say he is today.

Mike S.

I would have called him a douchebag. He could have cancelled the game as the Cumberland School no longer had a football program and had cancelled all of their other games for that year, but because of a personal vendetta he held against that college, he demanded they play the game or pay the hefty fine. That equals douchebaggery for me.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
The team that won was the number 1 seed in 4A and had beat other in district rivals almost as bad. They are a powerhouse team normally and this year is even better.

Being a team that is playing for state championship rights lets flip the coin. Im a coach going intothe playoffs and I cant work my passing game or blitzes. This game took away from their ability to prep for playoffs and other similiarly powerhouse teams.

So if the team chokes in the first or second round Texas fans will be calling for his head due to him not working the starters more.

Its Texas football and its a double edged sword. Football IS life in TX-other states think they are hardcore but being a product of this system Ill not tell you the things I saw and took part of in the name of victory for TX football.

I like that the coach tried to ease the pain in that game but reality is he may lose his job over not winning the state title rather than running up a score or bullying. AND I guarantee you the boosters will hire him a team of lawyers if this bully report tries to go any further. They will file defamation and libel on the reporter just to get the focus back on the playoffs.

Sore losers is what it sounds like to me.

((My team was ranked #1 2 years running in the state of TX. We choked the second year and the reprecussions were horrific across the board......))

It is football. As long as your opponent is still lining up across from you and hitting you on every snap, you need to go 100%. You're going to get hurt if you don't. If the weaker team didn't like it at 50, 60, 70, 80-0, then they needed to quit lining up.

Play calling and such can help mitigate a lopsided score somewhat, but not entirely. Bottom line for me is that if you don't want to get your butt kicked in football, train harder or find another sport.

The "bullying" (whatever that is) suit is so bogus that it is laughable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand