Parent Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2012
Indiana
Long time lurker. At what age group do you start looking for TB teams that are coached by individuals that do not have daughters on the team? Currently 12U team is experiencing signs of the dreaded "Daddy Ball" syndrome.

Jun 24, 2013
As soon as possible, 6U if you can.

The parents are the people involved so it can be hard to find a Team not coached by a player’s parents and it also might cost a little bit more.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
amen....if you can find a team with a non parent coach then check them out. However, don't assume that all parent coaches are daddy ballers either, another option is find a team where the daughter's of coaches play different positions than yours.

May 17, 2012
There is no correlation between daddy ball and the quality of coaching. Some coaches with DD's on the team are great, some are not.

Some coaches with no kids on the team are great, some are not.

Just look for the best coach for your DD period.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I would start looking at 12-14. There are some parents who are not overtly bad but all have some tendencies to promote their DD.

I moved DD to a professionally coached team 2 years ago and haven't looked back. It definitely costs more but DD went from a second stringer on a B team to a starter on an A team once she got the chance to excel where she was most suited and not stymied by coaches with blinders on.

There is no correlation between daddy ball and the quality of coaching. Some coaches with DD's on the team are great, some are not.

Some coaches with no kids on the team are great, some are not.

Just look for the best coach for your DD period.
^^^^^^^^^^ This. ^^^^^^^^^^

It also helps (sometimes) if the coach's DD isn't a pitcher. Unless, of course, she is the best freakin' pitcher in the area. :)

Nov 15, 2013
Without daddy coaches, youth softball wouldn't exist.

That said, I've had firsthand experiences with coaches whose bias for their kids couldn't be more obvious. Those dads give all coaches a bad name and I wish they would open their eyes sometime and realize that their girl with the worst OBP on the team shouldn't be the leadoff batter and shouldn't be playing every inning of every game.

Long story short, got tired of watching her dribble the ball back to the pitcher every at bat, and boot half the balls hit to her, so DD found a new team at the end of the season.

Feb 3, 2011
I say to look for the best coaching you can find, but the best-coached teams may not always be the best fit for a number of other reasons.

As she progresses on her softball journey, so much depends on what a player's long-term goals are. In 10u and 12u, playing with friends tends to mean more than trying to position herself for a college prep program. The rule of thumb out here in northern California is to begin looking around during 2nd-year 12s with the anticipation of making the jump to a non-parent or professionally-coached team for 14u. Even still, I know a few great coaches in 14s who have daughters on their teams and have almost notorious reputations for NOT being Daddy-ballers.

In many cases, though, it's for the benefit of their own daughters that coaches step away at that age and let someone else take the reins. I'm not saying that every player gets too comfortable with Dad in the dugout, nor am I saying that they all tune Daddy out at age 13, but if a player hopes to star in high school or maybe play in college, it's not going to hinder her to start playing for other coaches when she's 13-14.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are some really good TB coaches who also have daughters on the team. You also need to be leery of head coaches who also give private lessons. It is amazing how many of their players who pay for private lessons end up in the starting lineup.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There are some really good TB coaches who also have daughters on the team. You also need to be leery of head coaches who also give private lessons. It is amazing how many of their players who pay for private lessons end up in the starting lineup.

Which is why I refuse to charge my players for pitching lessons. I figure if they play for me whatever instruction they need is part of the deal. It's a win win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06