Palm up at 9 oclock?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
Ken B, Thanks for bringing this thread and the "Peel Drop" thread up again...I enjoyed reading them. I was confused in the beginning because I see the 9:00 position the same as Doug but no biggie.

BM stated to either have the palm facing down or in on the upswing. I was going to ask this same question in a new thread today but I might as well ask it here. So, which one of these (palm down or in) do you guys think leads to a more natural way to get the palm facing up on the downswing?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I often use the cue of "driving out with the backs of the hands," but slightly turned inward is fine. I think that just as important is allowing the elbow to bend/flex as the ball starts coming over the top. Be thinking about it even at 3 o'clock (DFP Standard Time!)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The glove hand is a "no teach" IMO........Emphasis on proper mechanics of the lower body and throwing motion will dictate what the "other side" does to counter balance the system.........

Some keep the glove "closer" to the target line.........While MANY others move it away and back in........There IS NO absolute for this action.........

IF you are not careful, you will coach the athletisism OUT of the "natural athelete".............

The glove hand should be a "no teach"..........Anything the glove hand is doing is a reaction to other parts of the system........

Get the system right, and the glove hand will naturally work to provide balance AND stretch to prepare for the contaction of the whipping sequence........

I disagree. Get the glove right and it is easier to get the rest of it going right. I guess it's a chicken and egg thing, but getting the glove in line requires little skill and just plain concentration, so that in a short time it is muscle memory. Then you can work on the pitching side more efficiently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi