Palm up at 9 oclock?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2009
My understanding from this site is that

3 oclock - ball facing home
12 oclock - palm and ball facing 3rd, elbow almost straight
9 oclock - palm up ball facing up, elbow bent

Do I have that right?

My daughter doesn't like the feel of palm up at 9 oclock and wants to keep the ball facing
3rd all they was till rotation just prior to release. Does the palm face
up at 9 oclock on all pitches or just specific ones? I have talked to her about interlan rotation starting with palm up but fail to get it across to her.

I was going to loook for pictures of the big pitchers even some college ones that show palm up at 3 oclock, any help would be appreciatged.

Sep 3, 2009
My understanding from this site is that

3 oclock - ball facing home
9 oclock - palm up ball facing up, elbow bent

Do I have that right?

My daughter doesn't like the feel of palm up at 9 oclock and wants to keep the ball facing
3rd all they was till rotation just prior to release. Does the palm face
up at 9 oclock on all pitches or just specific ones? I have talked to her about interlan rotation starting with palm up but fail to get it across to her.

I was going to loook for pictures of the big pitchers even some college ones that show palm up at 3 oclock, any help would be appreciatged.

Not understanding why anyone would have palm facing home at 3:00. I actually encourage my daughter to keep the ball in the glove at 3:00 and to separate the hands high, unless I' mistaking what you mean by 3:00. I'm not a pitching coach by any means, just the dad of a recently turned 10 yo DD who has been reading and learning as much as I can because I can't find a local pitching coach that we are comfortable with. My daughter does ball facing the catcher at 12 o'clock and ball facing third at 9 o'clock (or whatever you call the last quarter of the arm circle...I always confuse the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock)

Nov 29, 2009
You've left out necessary information. How old is she? How many different pitches does she throw? What is her skill level?

If she's a high level pitcher throwing multiple pitches the ball position at the 9:00 O'clock position is different. If she's younger and learning how to pitch then facing 3rd at 9:00 o'clock is good. This will let her elbow come in and stay closer to the body. It will also help with developing a longer and stronger wrist snap.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
By 9 o'clock, do you mean when the arm is straight back toward second base and she is approaching her hip, next? The palm and the ball is either down towards the ground or her wrist is up, with the ball facing 2nd.

I call that 3 o,clock, because I go from the girl's thinking. On a clock the 9 wouldn't be behind us.

I suggest getting your DD to a pitching coach, because if you have confused the members on here, you have really confused her. Try pitching yourself, the way you have described.

May 7, 2009
I probably got the numbers mixed. I was stating as if looking from the 1st base side. So if looking from the 3rd base side
then 3 oclock would be beginning of leap and glove and ball facing home. Assuming my daughter who is 16 and has pitched for varsity as a Freshman and Soph. She uses a double arm pump so ball is not in glove once her windup starts.

So to clarify the above statement as if looking from the 3rd base side. She can throw a drop
change, curve and is working on a rise.

9 oclock - ball facing home
3 oclock - palm up ball facing up, elbow bent

3 oclock palm up is from BoardMembers IR post. I did not thing the ball ever faced 2nd base or you would begin
to push then pull the ball through release. As far as getting a pitching coach at times thats like buying a bag of
non around hear teach the IR method.

Jul 14, 2008
I probably got the numbers mixed. I was stating as if looking from the 1st base side. So if looking from the 3rd base side
then 3 oclock would be beginning of leap and glove and ball facing home. Assuming my daughter who is 16 and has pitched for varsity as a Freshman and Soph. She uses a double arm pump so ball is not in glove once her windup starts.

So to clarify the above statement as if looking from the 3rd base side. She can throw a drop
change, curve and is working on a rise.

9 oclock - ball facing home
3 oclock - palm up ball facing up, elbow bent

3 oclock palm up is from BoardMembers IR post. I did not thing the ball ever faced 2nd base or you would begin
to push then pull the ball through release. As far as getting a pitching coach at times thats like buying a bag of
non around hear teach the IR method.

Coach.......I'd suggest palm down OR facing in headed up the circle......NEVER FACING UP/NEVER FACING OUT.........then palm facing foward (show it to the catcher) or slightly toward 3rd at the top........And yes definitely palm to the sky at 3:00..........as we drop down the circle toward an I/R release.........

Or course the position/pressures may change depending on the pitch through release............But speaking strickly standard mechanics........Go with the above when learning I/R............

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Coach.......I'd suggest palm down OR facing in headed up the circle......NEVER FACING UP/NEVER FACING OUT.........then palm facing foward (show it to the catcher) or slightly toward 3rd at the top........And yes definitely palm to the sky at 3:00..........as we drop down the circle toward an I/R release.........

Or course the position/pressures may change depending on the pitch through release............But speaking strickly standard mechanics........Go with the above when learning I/R............

Question - as I review this forum's pitching videos of some of the best pitchers in the world (see Sarah Pauly and Jennie Finch videos), what I am seeing is the palm starts facing 3rd base from the top of the arm circle (12 o'clock) and pretty much stays there until just prior to 6 o'clock when the hand "internally rotates" towards the body through release. The only pitcher that I see that sort of shows the ball to the sky at 3 o'clock is Yukiko Ueno. Am I missing something?

Jul 14, 2008
Question - as I review this forum's pitching videos of some of the best pitchers in the world (see Sarah Pauly and Jennie Finch videos), what I am seeing is the palm starts facing 3rd base from the top of the arm circle (12 o'clock) and pretty much stays there until just prior to 6 o'clock when the hand "internally rotates" towards the body through release. The only pitcher that I see that sort of shows the ball to the sky at 3 o'clock is Yukiko Ueno. Am I missing something?

Yes you are missing somthing..........Especially with Finch..........

I'd suggest reviewing this clip from 12:00 to 3:00 frame by frame........Take note of where the thumb is pointing, and ball/palm position at 3:00..........

Report back............

MOV 2 of 3, Windmill

May 7, 2009
First of all, I need to quit posting when Im working, I didnt even finish a sentence above. :eek:) I was going to say finding a pitching coach is like buying a bag of assorted candy, you never know what your going to get. We have been to many, from slamming the door to step dont leap, thats why I come here.

I thought I had that right, I read your IR post quite detailed BM and I was hoping you would jump in here.

Have a favor, is there any way to post that link in something other than quicktime? I cant load quicktime they have our stuff locked down.

Look forward to watching it.

Jul 14, 2008
First of all, I need to quit posting when Im working, I didnt even finish a sentence above. :eek:) I was going to say finding a pitching coach is like buying a bag of assorted candy, you never know what your going to get. We have been to many, from slamming the door to step dont leap, thats why I come here.

I thought I had that right, I read your IR post quite detailed BM and I was hoping you would jump in here.

Have a favor, is there any way to post that link in something other than quicktime? I cant load quicktime they have our stuff locked down.

Look forward to watching it.

Finch Palm Up at 3:00.....

16ae2xf.gif

Hillhouse transition from facing the pitcher at the top to facing the sky at 3:00..........

5akoeq.gif

Alicia Hollowell going Palm Up at 3:00........

1z3rott.gif

A good way to refer to this is the "lag position" down the circle..........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877