P downed by line drive, play stopped

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
ASA, 12u, pool play
R1 on 2B

Line drive strikes pitcher in the chest and ricochets into LF. P goes down, conscious, but seems to be having difficulty breathing. PU halts play after R1 rounds 3B. R1 is returned to 3B.

After 3-4 minutes, P is able to walk off the field assisted by coach.

Do those chest protectors do any good?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I recommend the one with the back shield personally. I always hated taking pitches in the ribs.

The protectors are 100% moldable-custom fitted. All chest sizes may apply :)

FCA

Jul 30, 2013
My 12U DD wears a heart guard shirt. Basically sleeveless dry fit shirt with Kevlar triangle stitched into it in the center. Worn it since she started pitching travel ball few years ago. She took a serious line drive shot from a 14U batter last fall while creeping down first base line, ball absolutely drilled her in the chest, dropped right into her mitt for the out. Only reaction from her was a big smile as they jogged off the field. She (knock on wood) has not been hit in chest while pitching, but I have no doubt if she does, and the ball hits the guard, she will be fine. She wears the shirt always. I have looked seriously at the evo shield, and may go with that in the future, unfortunately you can't "test drive" them that I know of, so I don't know if the design infringes much on the pitchers movement.

Anyone who has a DD with one that pitches and has used it I would be interested in your experiences with them.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
14y/o DD just got hers last week and threw 7 innings the other night. According to her, she didn't notice it at all...zero discomfort (has the rib pads too).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wear EvoShield, w/o the rib cage protector - but i am not a batter.

Your DD will have to experiment with it, to see if she needs to wear her sports bra, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC