Obstruction on attempt diving catch of line drive?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
There is a runner at first. batter hits a low line drive about 8 feet right of 2B. The 2B player dives for the line drive, misses and lands near the base path. Runner runs to 2B but CF quickly gets the ball and throws her out at 2B which was covered by SS. Umpire calls obstruction on 2B player who was lying on the ground after the dive. From our vantage point, it didn't look like the runner even had to avoid the 2B player on the ground when running to 2B.

Runner is supposed to avoid defensive player trying to make a play. it could be said that player has finished making the play when the ball goes by. Did the umpire make the right call?

May 29, 2015
Possibly ... you didn’t mention what sanction, so I’ll answer in general terms. Obstruction is pretty well obstruction, but different organizations have different rules on runners ”going over” (leaping, hurdling, etc.) prone fielders.

If the fielder has completed her play on the ball, she no longer has any protection. She doesn't necessarily have to commit any other act — simply laying there could be obstruction in and of itself.

Generally speaking, if she “hindered or impeded” the runner, it is obstruction. If she caused the runner to slow, stutter step, or otherwise move out her base path (even slightly), it is obstruction.

If the runner was put out (as you indicate), the proper mechanic should look like this:

At the moment the obstruction occurred, the umpire gives delayed dead ball signal (left fist straight out to the side), verbally calls “ obstruction!”, and then drops the signal while the play continues.

Once the runner is put out, the umpire should call her out and then immediately call time. From that point, bases are awarded to the obstructed runner and any runners who may have advanced had play not been killed.

One key to your post @softballparent60 is “from our vantage point”. Remember, things can look very different from your position and the umpire’s position. Angles and distance can change a whole lot.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a softball player answering....
I 'm sprinting runner,
at that point
ball is in the outfield
Infield defense doesnt have the ball,
Out of my way!
Coming in hot to the bag!

Great post for a team teaching moment!!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
It was NFHS, high school rules. What puzzled me was that the middle infielders were playing their normal depth so they were behind the base lines 3-5 feet. The dive looked like it was parallel to the base line, so that's why the "from our vantage point" statement was put out there.

Jun 7, 2019
key to your post @softballparent60 is “from our vantage point”. Remember, things can look very different from your position and the umpire’s position. Angles and distance can change a whole lot.

The parents sitting all the way down the lines in dead ball territory always have a better view than the umpires! And they're almost always willing to help us out in loud, clear voices when we get it "wrong". Many of us in blue appreciate their keen eyes, persistent voice and thorough knowledge of the rules. 🙄

May 29, 2015
It was NFHS, high school rules. What puzzled me was that the middle infielders were playing their normal depth so they were behind the base lines 3-5 feet. The dive looked like it was parallel to the base line, so that's why the "from our vantage point" statement was put out there.

Just speculating ... but a fielder 3-5 feet behind the baseline diving for a ball up the middle would likely be diving into (or at least towards) “the baseline”, not parallel to it.

That said, the baseline is completely irrelevant. It is the runner’s basepath that matters. A runner coming from first is likely to have started to curve out to round second. That is still the runner’s basepath.

I can understand how that would look different from a spectator’s angle versus the umpire’s angle on the field. There is a reason we don’t call games from the stands. ;)

OR it’s possible he kicked the call.

May 29, 2015
The parents sitting all the way down the lines in dead ball territory always have a better view than the umpires! And they're almost always willing to help us out in loud, clear voices when we get it "wrong". Many of us in blue appreciate their keen eyes, persistent voice and thorough knowledge of the rules. 🙄

And the water provided from left field!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478