Overrunning First Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yep...I was on good old eteamz when that was first posted way back when.

Just be aware that with some rule changes in the past decade-plus some of those myths are no longer accurate!

Mar 2, 2013
However, if the look-back rule was in effect and the runner did attempt to advance to 2nd base and then returned to 1st base instead, the ball would be dead and the batter would be out.

Aug 6, 2013
Yep...I was on good old eteamz when that was first posted way back when.

Just be aware that with some rule changes in the past decade-plus some of those myths are no longer accurate!

yup - your right Bret, I need to update the old un-true file - I had forgotten how old that was...

Aug 6, 2013
I had always taught if you wern't sure the hit was extra bases and the coach was n't waiving you through; to over run first and turn the body and breakdown into a crow hop facing second but moving up the foul line in foul taritory, So if the ball is through or there is an over throw you have a straight line to second.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The runner may turn in either direction. If right, the runner must return to 1B. If left and she doesn't attempt to go to 2B, the runner may return to 1B.

Any attempt is an attempt, for any reason and it is quite easy for the umpire to realize it. As noted, it is the coach's job to direct the runner. For those who don't want it to be an attempt, what would you say if the runner safely made it to 2B and the umpire returned them to 1B?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The runner may turn in either direction. If right, the runner must return to 1B. If left and she doesn't attempt to go to 2B, the runner may return to 1B.

Had an ump in rec ball that insisted if the BR turned left after running through 1st they were attempting to advance....even after I showed him the rulebook afterwards. Didn't matter. Thank God he doesn't do our TB games!

As I understand it (I'm not and ump or a rules geek)...

"Out" is the right call, whether the BR makes a move towards 2B, or not. If the BR returns to 1B in fair territory, they can be tagged out. This is also a quick way to teach your 10U player(s) to stay in foul territory after over-running 1B.

In ASA rule batter runner has to attempt to advance to 2nd base just turning toward fair territory doesn't matter as long as theirs no attempt to advance.

Mar 26, 2013
:confused: Which rule(s) requires them to return to 1B after turning right? I can't find any.

Any attempt is an attempt, for any reason and it is quite easy for the umpire to realize it. As noted, it is the coach's job to direct the runner.
It doesn't take much to be considered an attempt. We had a play many years ago where our 1B dropped the catch and the runner reacted by taking a half step toward 2B before realizing the ball wasn't getting away. I called out to tag her, she did and the umpire called her out. The other team's HC went ballistic in the 3B coach's box - it was his DD.

Just 2-3 weeks later while we were coaching all stars together, Andruw Jones got called out for just leaning toward 2B.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
:confused: Which rule(s) requires them to return to 1B after turning right?

That one only applies when the look back rule is in effect (ie: when pitcher gets ball in circle before batter-runner reaches first base).

Not sure why it got thrown into this discussion, so I'm a little confused too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli