Overrunning First Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
A friend of mine is in his first year umpiring and he called me with the following scenario that happened to him:

ASA 10u Rec
Bases empty, fewer than 2 outs, B1 hits a groundball to F6. The throw from F6 to F3 is too late to retire BR1. BR1 overruns 1B, stops about 10 ft. past 1B, turns counterclockwise, and begins returning to 1B. Defensive fans and coaches yell to F3 to "tag her" since she turned to her left. F3 starts running at B1 to tag her. B1, seeing F3 coming to tag her, takes a couple of steps towards 2B before she is tagged and declared out by the umpire.

When my friend called me, he said he was prepared to call her safe had she continued back towards 1B, but the moment she stepped towards 2B, he had to call her out. Based on what he told me, I agreed with him, with only one exception. I told him that it is a HTBT situation, but I think taking a few steps towards 2B doesn't necessarily constitute an attempt to advance to 2B. At this level of play, I can imagine BR1 looking for a route around F3 back to 1B that may involve running into fair territory. But, if it is obvious that BR1 is now attempting to advance to 2B, then the out call is correct. Am I correct in my thinking, or do you other umpires think differently?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As I understand it (I'm not and ump or a rules geek)...

"Out" is the right call, whether the BR makes a move towards 2B, or not. If the BR returns to 1B in fair territory, they can be tagged out. This is also a quick way to teach your 10U player(s) to stay in foul territory after over-running 1B.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I thought the direction of the turn was irrelevant.

But the moment you make "any attempt to advance towards 2nd" in the umpire's opinion, you are then at risk of being put out.

Jun 24, 2013
I am not an ump but I agree with you. Being in fair means nothing, turning toward 2nd means nothing. Making a move towards 2nd becomes interesting. The runner should have just ignored her but I would not have called her out unless she took a step towards 2nd thinking to advance.

(I think 1st and batter-runner can play tag all they want, batter-runner is still safe unless she trys to go to 2nd.)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
As I understand it (I'm not and ump or a rules geek)...

"Out" is the right call, whether the BR makes a move towards 2B, or not. If the BR returns to 1B in fair territory, they can be tagged out. This is also a quick way to teach your 10U player(s) to stay in foul territory after over-running 1B.

Rule Supplement #37 says otherwise:
After overrunning first base, the batter-runner may legally turn to their left or right when returning to the base. If any attempt is made to advance to second base, regardless of whether the runner is in fair or foul territory, they are liable for an appeal out if tagged with the ball by a defensive player while off the base.

Jun 11, 2013
She was OK until she took a steps towards second then she was in a position to be tagged out. If I remember back to our 10U days I would say she should have kept running. The SS would have missed the throw, the LF would have been having her picture taken by Grandma and the runner could have scored.

Jun 22, 2008
Runner can turn any direction they want and makes no difference if they are in fair on foul territory. As long as they made no move to advance to 2nd they may return safely to 1st. Attempting to advance does not require any minimum number of steps it could be as few as one step. Being this was 10rec I probably would have killed the play put the batter runner on first and explain to both coaches the nuances of the rule. But yes by rule when the batter runner made an agressive move toward 2nd the are liable to be put out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with the call the umpire made and it is the 1B coaches job to tell the base runner to get back on the bag. If he allowed her to get "spooked" into making a move towards 2B by F3, then that is on him/her - especially at 10U!

Mar 29, 2012
Unless I thought she actually was making an attempt to move to 2B I would have called her safe. just stepping in that direction to get around a baseman to get back to 1st doesn't constitute an actual attempt to move to 2nd. A runner walking back to firs,t moving to avoid being slapped with a glove for a tag that should not be attempted, is reasonable and not an attempt at 2nd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz