Overrunning First Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Personally, I'd be interested to hear what umpires have to say about getting rid of the LBR. As a coach, I have no problem with the rule as it is - though I don't think I'd have any problem with getting rid of it either.

It isn't as easy a sell as you think as many FP only umpires have a hard time perceiving being without it. Some think the game would run amok while anyone who works SP is well aware of the ease of just calling time when the play is over.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
It isn't as easy a sell as you think as many FP only umpires have a hard time perceiving being without it. Some think the game would run amok while anyone who works SP is well aware of the ease of just calling time when the play is over.

Did you ump before it? I'm asking sincerely because I've only coached with it and when you say Slow Pitch I envision (admittedly limited) guys like me with bad knees content with our base hit. Donning my theoretical mind (which, like I said, I'm willing to test against practice in this case, especially as I'm not an ump) this might place more of yet another burden upon umpires who see a girl at third dancing around and calling "time" - likely to face more undeserved grumbling and jeering.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The LBR does not seem to be as much of an issue at the higher levels. Maybe because the pitchers have learned to use it to their advantage to control the runners.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Did you ump before it? I'm asking sincerely because I've only coached with it and when you say Slow Pitch I envision (admittedly limited) guys like me with bad knees content with our base hit. Donning my theoretical mind (which, like I said, I'm willing to test against practice in this case, especially as I'm not an ump) this might place more of yet another burden upon umpires who see a girl at third dancing around and calling "time" - likely to face more undeserved grumbling and jeering.

No, but I played before it. And like in SP, the umpire would just observe the field, give the defense the opportunity to make a play or a runner to advance. When it is obvious the play is over, you just call time. All the "dancing"around or deking is exactly what caused the LBR to be put in place. It is nothing new and happens on thousands of fields throughout the country each night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd